PDA

View Full Version : Pin to Windows 8 Start Screen - NOT WORKING

rossbcl
10-02-2014, 08:36 AM
Hello!

I have 3 shortcuts, 1 for Windows App, and the other 2 are for two different pages on my Web App

The installer only displays the Windows App shortcut and one of the other two.

I have tried to:

Put the web pages shortcuts on separate Features
Put the web pages shortcuts on different (separated) Source folders
Put the shortcuts on different (separated) Target folders (destination)
I tried other (almost all) suggested fixes and workarounds on the internet, but still couldn't get it to work as expected.

I am using IS 2014 Primier, I put 'YES' on Pin to Windows 8 Start Screen on all shortcuts. I then tried to put 'NO' on Pin to Windows 8 Start Screen on all shortcuts and tested it but the 2 icons on the Windows 8 Start Screen are still showing.

Hope anyone from here can help me?

Thank you!

MichaelU
10-02-2014, 09:03 AM
If you're actually testing on Windows 8.1 rather than Windows 8, this is a known behavior. Unfortunately the wording we chose to describe this option ended up being rather misleading when the behavior was changed in Windows 8.1. See this thread (https://community.flexerasoftware.com/showthread.php?206595-Windows-8-1-and-the-new-start-screen-BUG-or-Feature) for more details. Do note that a tile is created in the All Apps screen, and that a user must elect to pin it for it; this applies to all application shortcuts.

rossbcl
10-02-2014, 10:33 AM
If you're actually testing on Windows 8.1 rather than Windows 8, this is a known behavior. Unfortunately the wording we chose to describe this option ended up being rather misleading when the behavior was changed in Windows 8.1. See this thread (https://community.flexerasoftware.com/showthread.php?206595-Windows-8-1-and-the-new-start-screen-BUG-or-Feature) for more details. Do note that a tile is created in the All Apps screen, and that a user must elect to pin it for it; this applies to all application shortcuts.

Thanks Michael!

I am testing on a Windows 8 Enterprise Virtual Machine which is hosted on a Windows 8.1 Pro machine.

Unfortunately for me, one icon/shortcut is really not showing even on the "App Apps Screen".

Are we waiting for an updated from Microsoft (I hope) or Flexera?

Thanks again!

Ross

rossbcl
10-02-2014, 11:27 AM
Thanks MichaelU!

I am testing on a Windows 8 Enterprise Virtual Machine which is hosted on a Windows 8.1 Pro machine.

Unfortunately for me one icon/shortcut is really not showing even on the "All Apps Screen".

Are we waiting for a Windows Update (I hope soon) or IS Update?

Thanks again!

Ross

MichaelU
10-03-2014, 01:20 PM
If a shortcut created somewhere beneath the ProgramMenu folder does not show up as a tile in the All Apps area, then I'm not sure what the cause is. I've long suspected some filtering for excluding non-apps such as links to help files. There's also the possibility of a second shortcut to the same EXE being ignored (described in this blog post (http://blogs.msdn.com/b/amar/archive/2013/03/07/how-are-shortcuts-created-and-managed-on-the-windows-8-start-screen.aspx)).