PDA

View Full Version : Hyper-V Virtual Machines not showing up in AAC

rcnmike
08-15-2014, 08:15 AM
Hi,

I´m currently evaluating Admin Studio 2014 (latest build on Windows Server 2012 R2) . Whenever I try to import VMs with the AAC Wizard it connects successfully to my lab hyper-v server (2012 R2 Standard), but the VM list is always empty.

Our hyper-v server hosts several Windows 8.1 guest VMs which were all prepped with the Guest Agent. Autologin and guest agent startup is working. I created a snapshot of each vm and named it AutoRepack_Base.

So far I disabled UAC and Windows Firewall on all lab systems including the hyper-v host. I can successfully connect to the hyper-v server from within the Admin Studio VM using hyper-v manager where all VMs are visible.

Do you have any clue why ACC won´t list the VMs after connecting to the hyper-v server ? I even tried to connect to other hyper-v systems

thank you

Alpesh
08-15-2014, 10:13 AM
Hi,

Are you able to see the VMs, if you use HyperV Manager from any other machine and connect to the Hyper-V server? Please confirm this first.

Thanks!

rcnmike
08-15-2014, 10:41 AM
Hi,

Are you able to see the VMs, if you use HyperV Manager from any other machine and connect to the Hyper-V server? Please confirm this first.

Thanks!

Yes, I can see the VMs in Hyper-V Manager from any other machine including the one where Admin Studio is installed.
Thank You

Alpesh
08-15-2014, 10:50 AM
Hi,

Sorry, I should have read your first post closely. You had already written that you are able to see the VMs from the server machine using HyperV manager.

So I just tested AAC from my main Win7 box, and connected to our HyperV server running Win2012 R2, and I was able to see all the VMs. Since you are running AS2014 on Win2012 R2 Server, can you try installing it on a client OS like Win7, and then check if you get any success?

Thanks!

rcnmike
08-18-2014, 05:43 AM
Hi,

just set up a Windows 7 Enterprise VM (x86) with a fresh install of Admin Studio 2014.
Now I can´t even create a new Application Catalog. VMs are still not visible either.

Is there a logfile or troubleshooting tool for further diagnosis ?

thank you
best regards

rcnmike
08-18-2014, 10:32 AM
Ok,

tried again with a fresh install on a new Windows 7 64 bit VM and SQL Express 2012 64 bit. Can not create a new application catalog and VMs still don´t show up.
Also the Create a new Application Catalog Wizard is running in a loop. I have to enter all settings twice and the next button does not work anymore (not greyed out but not responding to clicks).

Maybe I´ve got a corrupted installer package from the evaluation download page, so I´m going to download a fresh one and start all over from scratch.

Do you have any more suggestions ?

Evan Border
08-18-2014, 11:36 AM
just set up a Windows 7 Enterprise VM (x86) with a fresh install of Admin Studio 2014.
Now I can´t even create a new Application Catalog. VMs are still not visible either.

Make sure that your Windows 7 machine has SP1 installed. You can't create the Application Catalog without it.

You can create a debug log file by setting a registry value.
Registry Key:
HKLM\Software\InstallShield\AdminStudio\

Registry value name:
DebugLogLevel

Registry data value:

Registry value type:
String

The following URL provides more information about setting the DebugLogLevel:
http://helpnet.flexerasoftware.com/adminstudio2014/adminstudio_CSH.htm#ashelplibrary/ASIDETaskDebugLog.htm
helpnet.flexerasoftware.com/adminstudio2014/adminstudio_CSH.htm#ashelplibrary/ASIDETaskDebugLog.htm

DirkME
08-22-2014, 05:21 AM
Hello,

I got the same Problem. I'm able to connect from the AAC to the Hyper-V-Server but there are no machines listed. I did the tests with:
- Windows 8.1 Enterprise with AdminStudio 2013 SP1 and Hyper-V on the same machine
- Windows Server 2012 R2 with AdminStudio 2014 Evaluation and Hyper-V on the same machine and
- Windows 8.1 Enterprise with AdminStudio 2013 SP1 and Hyper-V on another Win 8.1 Enterprise

At this time I'm testing the first Scenario. I also did the modifications with are neccassary when Hyper-V and AdminStudio are used on different machines, even when they are installed on the same machine.

Kind regards,

Dirk

Alpesh
08-25-2014, 08:49 AM
Hi,

Are you using the Hyper-V server administrator credentials, when connecting from AAC? If not, can you try the same, and check the results?

Thanks!

DirkME
08-25-2014, 09:01 AM
Hi,
I just checked it when AdminStudio and Hyper-V Server are installed on the same machine. The machine is not in a domain. And I used a local admin account which is also member of the Hyper-V Administrator group. But the behaviour is the same. I'm able to connect to the Hyper-V Server (same Machine) but I don't see any virtual machines in the list of AAC.

BTW I also tried with a wrong servername or credentials. There I got an error which says AAC is not able to connect to the Hyper-V Server. That's what I have expected.

Dirk

Alpesh
08-25-2014, 02:28 PM
Hi Dirk,

Can you run the attached vbs file on the Hyper-V server, and then check the C:\Test folder? There should be a txt file, with all of your Hyper-V VMs. If the files does not have the hyper-V VMs listed, then it may be permission issue. Make sure that you log on to the Hyper-V server with the same user credentials, that you use in AAC to connect to the hyperV server.

Thanks!

DirkME
08-27-2014, 11:27 AM
Hi,

I don't think of a permission issue, because Hyper-V and AdminStudio with AAC are installed on the same Computer. It is a Windows 8.1 Machine.
I launched the script on this machine, the vmlist.txt is attached. But in addition I have to say that the Machine where I launched the script is a VHD-Boot. And this machine (SD-L512-02) is also listed in the txt-file. The machine I want to do the repackaging on is the Hyper-V called Work.

Thanks,

Dirk

Alpesh
08-29-2014, 10:26 AM
Hi Dirk,

I tested this yesterday on my Win 8.1 x64 laptop running Hyper-V and AS 2014 Evaluation copy. And I was able to see all the VMs when I tried to import the VM in AAC. So the thing for you to check what is the version of AS, you are using? This was a known issue with AS 2013/AS 2013 R2 I believe,

Hope this helps.

Thanks!