PDA

View Full Version : Merge configuration file idapi32.cnf failed!

NewsArchive
09-12-1997, 12:00 AM
Hello,

I encounter a problem when I try to install my delphi 2 project programs
from the installation disk I’ve created. This problem occurs ONLY if the
BDE existed in the hard disk. The following error message was found.

Merging the configuration file has failed.
Config. file: c:\program files\borland\common files\bde\IDAPI32.cnf

I’ve followed the basic instructions in the Installshield installation
steps.

Thank You.

NewsArchive
09-13-1997, 12:00 AM
Hello,

Enclosed is a Knowledge Base article which describes how to handle a Merging
configuration failure. You can also find this and other articles at
www.installshield.com

Dan
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------
ISSUE:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------
A "Merging the configuration file has failed" message is received during BDE installation.

---------------------
DISCUSSION:
---------------------
Express includes with your BDE setup a configuration file called Idapi32.cnf. (For a
16-bit setup, this file is named Idapi.cnf.) During installation, Express copies this file
to a temporary location, and then adds to it the settings you chose in the BDE Alias
dialogs. If there exists no BDE on the target system, then Express simply saves the
Idapi32.cnf file to the default BDE directory as Idapi32.cfg. However, if the target machine
already has BDE on it (and so has a preexisting Idapi32.cfg file), Express then calls the
BDE Merge function to merge the Idapi32.cnf file with the existing Idapi32.cfg file, thereby
adding your setup's BDE aliases and settings to those already on the target system.

The message "Merging the configuration file has failed" may be displayed during BDE
setup for several possible reasons:

1. The target machine's pre-existing Idapi32.cfg file is set to read-only or is in any other
way inaccessible. This will cause BDE's Merge function to fail. Express finds the existing
IDAPI configuration file by reading its current location from the CONFIGFILE01 value data
under the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Borland\Database Engine key in the
target machine's registry (32-bit) or from the [IDAPI] section of the system's Win.ini file
(16-bit).
Please make sure that the target system's IDAPI configuration file is located under the path
specified in this value data, and that is not set to read-only or in any other way inaccessible
during the installation.

2. The target machine's BDE Configuration program Bdecfg32.exe file (for a 16-bit system,
the Bdecfg.exe file) is running during installation. This program will not allow a configuration
file to be merged with a file that it currently has open. Please make sure the target machine's
preexisting IDAPI configuration file is not currently in use by any other program.

3. The IDAPI configuration file on the target machine is corrupt. To check this, launch the
machine's BDE Configuration program and open the IDAPI configuration file from the path
as specified under the system's registry or Win.ini file. Try using the program's Merge
option (from the File menu) to merge another configuration file with the IDAPI file. (For a 32-bit
setup, you can try using the Idapi32.cnf file located in Express's Redist subdirectory. For 16-bit,

use the Idapi.cnf file located in Express's Redist16 subdirectory.) Also try saving the machine's
IDAPI file as a new temporary name, opening Express's Idapi32.cnf file in the BDE Configuration
program, saving it as Idapi32.cfg, and then rerunning the installation. This way you can see if the

merge will be possible with a new, "clean" IDAPI configuration file.

4. Version 1.0 of Express Professional contained a problem with 16-bit Delphi BDE setups.
While installations made on machines with preexisting BDE would complete successfully, a
setup which targeted a system with no preexisting BDE would trigger the "Merging the configuration
file has failed" message even though there was no current IDAPI file with which to merge.
Symptoms of this problem included a 0-byte Idapi.cfg file (with a random date) being installed on
the machine and Idapinew.cfg appearing in the same directory as the Idapi.cfg file. After rebooting

the system, the installed BDE would usually run correctly. This problem has been fixed in the 1.1
maintenance release of Express Professional. (Make sure the date of the setup.ins file is 9/3/96
and the date of the isx.exe file is 8/28/96)

---------------------

geniur <geniur@pop6.jaring.my> wrote in article <3418C61A.B2460278@pop6.jaring.my>...
> Hello,
>
> I encounter a problem when I try to install my delphi 2 project programs
> from the installation disk I’ve created. This problem occurs ONLY if the
> BDE existed in the hard disk. The following error message was found.
>
> Merging the configuration file has failed.
> Config. file: c:\program files\borland\common files\bde\IDAPI32.cnf
>
> I’ve followed the basic instructions in the Installshield installation
> steps.
>
> Thank You.
>
>
>