PDA

View Full Version : Problems when trying to upgrade a windows service



jpadilla
11-06-2013, 04:51 PM
I am using the Premier edition of Install shield. I have a Basic MSI installer that takes output from Visual Studio (as well as some extra files) and installs it as a windows service. On first time installs it works perfectly. It installs the service and starts it right up. When I run it again (after incrementing the version number) it correctly sees that it is an upgrade, it stops and deletes the old service as per my event (uninstall stop and delete) and after copying the new files over tries to start the service again. It is in this final start that I am having a problem.

Error 1920. Service *service name here*
(servicename) failed to start. Verify that you have
sufficient privileges to start system services.


Obviously I am missing something some where. Hopefully someone can point me in the correct direction. As I stated everything works just fine on the initial install, it is only happening during upgrades.

jpadilla
11-12-2013, 01:50 PM
Ideas anyone?

rguggisberg
11-12-2013, 02:42 PM
What is your 'Required Execution Level' set to for Setup.exe under 'Media', 'Releases'?
Try setting that to Administrator.

jpadilla
11-13-2013, 02:57 PM
It was Invoker, I changed it to admin as recommended and no luck.

Here is more information that may or may not help.
If I ignore the error and continue, it tells me that I need to reboot, which I did. After the reboot the service no longer starts. There are two errors in the event viewer and two information messages (included at the end of the post). I know that the service works because I can install do a fresh install without a problem. I have two files: Service_1_0_0_0.exe and Service_1_0_1_0.exe. They both install correctly during a fresh install, but I can not get 1010 to run as an upgrade.

Error 1


Application: Service.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.IO.FileLoadException
Stack:
at Service.Service..ctor()
at Service.Program.Main()


Error 2


Faulting application name: Service.exe, version: 1.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x52829ae5
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.1.7601.18015, time stamp: 0x50b83b16
Exception code: 0xe0434352
Fault offset: 0x0000812f
Faulting process id: 0xfcc
Faulting application start time: 0x01cee0a6699192fe
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Company\Service\Service.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: a827c54c-4c99-11e3-ab03-000c29fa0319


Information 1


Fault bucket , type 0
Event Name: CLR20r3
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: service.exe
P2: 1.0.0.0
P3: 52829ae5
P4: Service
P5: 1.0.0.0
P6: 52829ae5
P7: 1b
P8: 8
P9: System.IO.FileLoadException
P10:

Attached files:

These files may be available here:
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue\AppCrash_autooriservice.e_9acc10544fb2b92dc8ba8562725b26139f488094_0fe4fe32

Analysis symbol:
Rechecking for solution: 0
Report Id: a827c54c-4c99-11e3-ab03-000c29fa0319
Report Status: 4


Information 2


Fault bucket , type 0
Event Name: CLR20r3
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: service.exe
P2: 1.0.0.0
P3: 52829ae5
P4: Service
P5: 1.0.0.0
P6: 52829ae5
P7: 1b
P8: 8
P9: System.IO.FileLoadException
P10:

Attached files:

These files may be available here:
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue\AppCrash_autooriservice.e_9acc10544fb2b92dc8ba8562725b26139f488094_0fe4fe32

Analysis symbol:
Rechecking for solution: 0
Report Id: a827c54c-4c99-11e3-ab03-000c29fa0319
Report Status: 0

jpadilla
11-18-2013, 08:01 AM
I finally got this fixed.

The problem was actually on my end (oops). One of my dll's wasn't getting it's updated version number. So when the installer would go to upgrade it, it would see no version change and wouldn't change the dll, even though it was a little different. The dll's that called the broken dll would then in turn bomb out, and the service itself wouldn't start. It worked on a fresh install because all the dll's were correct.