PDA

View Full Version : Need help with NT 4.0 Registry Key permissions



NewsArchive
05-21-1997, 12:00 AM
Kenia Johansen wrote:
>
> I'm having problems playing a demo with demo-x. The first test demo I
> created plays OK. I created a second test demo, and it only shows up
> with "black area". I checked and re-checked the code between the
> <object> tags and I see no differences, other than the name and location
> of the demos.
>
> What could be causing the demo not to play?
>

Kenia,
I am uncertain as what you refer to when you say the second demo appears
only as a 'black area'. If you could provide a URL where these demos are
located, I can examine the page and make some determinations that way.

Thank you,
Keith W. Sheehan
DemoShield Applications Support

NewsArchive
05-20-1998, 12:00 AM
Hi there,

I am a new to the Demo-X software tool and I am trying to use Demo-X plug-in
to enable the Netscape to load web pages with ActiveX controls.

I have been trying to download Demo-X plug-in from the homepage
"http://www.demo-x.com/download.htm" by clicking on the ftp link "Download
the Demo-X Plug-In."
but it seems that there is some error in the ftp address. I use GetRight for
downloading which gave the following error message "550
/demox/demoxplug.exe: The system cannot find the path specified."

Can I have some assistance.

Thanks in advance.

NewsArchive
03-23-2000, 01:00 AM
Hi,

I have developed a software product under Delphi Prof. 3.0
and used the InstallShield (1.11) express software to build the
installation file.
As part of the install, I have installshield create a couple of registry
entries under
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE key in the registry at install time. I do this under
the local machine registry key to allow multiple users loggin in to be
able to see the registry entry. This is under NT 4.0. (Windows 95/98
does not have this problem)

The problem is this. If the software is installed by someone with System
Administrator status, the
software runs fine. However, when a different user logs in the software
fails because it cannot access the registry keys created by the
installshield program. After investigating this, it appears that the key

is not created with security setting Allow All Users. Within delphi
itself they have fixed this problem
in release 3.01. I can go in with regedt32.exe (as an administrator) and
create a permission
to allow everyone to access the keys. This is really a poor way to solve
this. The install program
should deal with this issue.

The question: Is there anyway under Installshield 1.11 that when
creating a registry entry, we can
set the permissions to allow everyone to access the registry key under
NT 4.0 regardless of
who and at what security level, a person installs the software.

Thanks for any help.
Gary Sims

NewsArchive
04-03-2000, 12:00 AM
Hello Gary

At this time you must be logged on as administrator to make those
changes thru Express.
--
Regards
Franco Pagnamenta
InstallShield Software Corp.

InstallShield® Professional 2000 is now available from InstallShield
Software Corporation! Take advantage of new event-based scripting
and enhanced third-party technology support. Target the Windows Installer
service of Windows 2000. Find out more! Visit www.installshield.com
and upgrade to InstallShield Professional 2000 today!
Gary Sims <gsims@gasman.com> wrote in message
news:38DB1E2F.D1B4D80F@gasman.com...
> Hi,
>
> I have developed a software product under Delphi Prof. 3.0
> and used the InstallShield (1.11) express software to build the
> installation file.
> As part of the install, I have installshield create a couple of registry
> entries under
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE key in the registry at install time. I do this under
> the local machine registry key to allow multiple users loggin in to be
> able to see the registry entry. This is under NT 4.0. (Windows 95/98
> does not have this problem)
>
> The problem is this. If the software is installed by someone with System
> Administrator status, the
> software runs fine. However, when a different user logs in the software
> fails because it cannot access the registry keys created by the
> installshield program. After investigating this, it appears that the key
>
> is not created with security setting Allow All Users. Within delphi
> itself they have fixed this problem
> in release 3.01. I can go in with regedt32.exe (as an administrator) and
> create a permission
> to allow everyone to access the keys. This is really a poor way to solve
> this. The install program
> should deal with this issue.
>
> The question: Is there anyway under Installshield 1.11 that when
> creating a registry entry, we can
> set the permissions to allow everyone to access the registry key under
> NT 4.0 regardless of
> who and at what security level, a person installs the software.
>
> Thanks for any help.
> Gary Sims
>
>