PDA

View Full Version : How To Update Existing Installation????

TekkGuy
01-24-2013, 09:03 AM
I can't seem to figure out how to create a Setup.exe that can also "upgrade" a previous installation.

If I keep the "Product Code" the same, then I get an error stating that another version is already installed. This holds true even if I change the "Product Version" number.

If I change the "Product Code" (leaving the "Upgrade Code" unchanged), and change the "Product Version" as well, then the new installation I create installs. However, it creates a second entry in the "Add/Remove Programs" list, making it look like two versions of my application are installed, when in fact there is only one.

I have also added an entry into the "Upgrade Paths" tab, called it "v2.00+" and in it I have set the "Upgrade Code" to match the upgrade code of the installation, "Min Version" = 2.00.00 (included) and I set "Include Max Version" to No.

I cant think of anything else to try...

Can anyone supply step-by-step directions on how to get InstallShield 2011 Express to "Upgrade" a previous installation? Is it that the Express version of InstallShield doesn't allow for "Upgrades"? Do you have to purchase the Professional version or higher?