PDA

View Full Version : LaunchAppAndWait causes 740 error in windows 7

jgkenned
10-16-2012, 01:38 PM
I have an old install shield project that worked fine for older versions of windows including XP and WinSrv 2003. I'm trying now to get this project working for Windows 7 (and I guess Vista as well). My problem is with a call to a win32 application that I wrote in CPP. I'm using the LaunchAppAndWait function and I get a 740 error from LAAW_PARAMETERS.nLaunchResult. I researched this and it has something to do with privilege elevation.

My install shield project is a Basic MIS project with some InstallScript of course. In the General Information section I have an install condition of AdminUser so that I am sure an administrator only runs this install. I have also signed the install. The executable that the LaunchAppAndWait function is trying to call does request elevated privileges and that level is "requireAdministrator". I believe I have everything in place that makes sense but it does not work. Oh and the executable is also digitally signed.

Here is a code snippet:

function LaunchPIDriver_Install(hMSI)
STRING svInstallDir;
NUMBER nvSize, nResponse, nRC, nType;
STRING svProgramPath;
STRING svMessage;
STRING svRC;
begin

svProgramPath = svInstallDir ^ "Win32\\PrinterInstaller\\PIDriver.exe";

// Invoke PIDriver
if (LaunchAppAndWait(svProgramPath,"",LAAW_OPTION_WAIT | LAAW_OPTION_HIDDEN | LAAW_OPTION_SHOW_HOURGLASS) < 0) then
// LaunchAppAndWait Failed...Return Error...
svMessage = "LaunchPIDriver_Install - LaunchAppAndWait() Failed";
NumToStr(svRC, LAAW_PARAMETERS.nLaunchResult);
MessageBox(svRC,INFORMATION);
SprintfMsiLog(svMessage);
SprintfMsiLog("Installation UNSUCCESSFUL!!!");
return ERROR_INSTALL_FAILURE;
else
// LaunchAppAndWait Successful...
// Was PIDriver Install Successful?
if (LAAW_PARAMETERS.nLaunchResult = 0) then
// Yes - Return Success
return ERROR_SUCCESS;
else
// No - Return Error
svMessage = "LaunchPIDriver_Install - PIDriver.exe Failed RC: " + svRC;
SprintfMsiLog(svMessage);
SprintfMsiLog("Installation UNSUCCESSFUL!!!");
return ERROR_INSTALL_FAILURE;
endif;
endif;
end;

Ideas?
thanks for any help

DebbieL
10-16-2012, 03:31 PM
The LaunchAppAndWait function has been superseded by the LaunchApplication function, which has support for launching applications with elevated privileges. To learn how to use LaunchApplication, see LaunchApplication (http://helpnet.flexerasoftware.com/installshield19helplib/Subsystems/installshield19langref/helplibrary/LaunchApplication.htm), and note the first bullet point in the Additional Information section near the bottom of the help topic.

jgkenned
10-16-2012, 03:35 PM
I seemed to have found a solution for this. There is a setting under the Release section, for a configuration, for a release, on the setup.exe tab. I set "Required Execution Level" to Administrator. This setting seems to propagate and thus allows my executable to be called correctly. Not sure if this helps installs that do not use a setup.exe.

Additionally, I found an article that suggested a switch from LaunchAppAndWait to LaunchApplication.