PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on managing projects/release/versions

Djordhan
09-01-2012, 03:00 PM
Hi all,

I'm kinda new to InstallShield and I'm having a hard time deciding how to manage my project.

We release a new major release every 3 months and I was wondering if I had to "duplicate" the project file for each version. If I do so, what's the point of having multiple Releases in a single project if every version needs a new project file ?

Thank you for your time!
JD

madj42
10-29-2012, 08:59 AM
While I wish I had an answer for you, I'm in the same boat. I'm coming from Wise and I was taught the method of duplicating the project file. After looking at the releases tab, it looks like this would be a better way of managing but I'm confused as to how it works if I have to build an older release. Does it keep the files in the disk image or does it refresh them if I select build on that old release. I wish it would have an option of automatically adding previous releases in the project to the upgrade tab too.

Reureu
10-30-2012, 07:20 AM
I'm not sure I understand what you mean:

Do you duplicate your InstallShield project for every new major version?
Do you duplicate your InstallShield project for every release ("release" in the sense of InstallShield project output).

In case number 1, you could save yourself this job by putting your InstallShield project under source control and using baselines.

In case number 2, choosing what to do depends on how much your various releases have in common.

We have only 1 ISM project file, which outputs 3 different releases.

If they have the same installation sequences, but only install different files, you should be ok using the so-called "Release-flags".
If they follow a different installation sequence, I would go for several InstallShield projects.