PDA

View Full Version : Bug report for Suite projects: "Installing Package" name not updating



Shuttledude
11-03-2011, 01:30 PM
Let's say you have a suite project called MyFood that installs three features, Apples, Oranges, Bananas, in that order, and all features are selected.

When installing MyFood, on the "Installing MyFood" wizard page you see this:

The program features you selected are being installed.
Installing package
Bananas

It always says "Bananas", which is the final Feature name. All features get installed, but the string that displays the feature name is "stuck", and always displays the name of the final Feature. This happens consistently, whether I use the Complete or Custom setup type. OS is Windows 7 64-bit. Desktop computer, Vostro 400.

Anyone know of a workaround??

One other bit of information, when the dialog says "Staging" (i.e., before it actually starts installing anything), it does correctly go through the list ... i.e., Staging: Apples (then Oranges ... then Bananas). But that's when the feature name string "sticks" on Bananas.

MichaelU
11-03-2011, 02:16 PM
This has to do with a stale status line being displayed. This should be resolved in InstallShield 2012 SP1. (See the Read Me First sticky in this forum, among other places, for more information.)

Shuttledude
11-03-2011, 02:24 PM
This has to do with a stale status line being displayed. This should be resolved in InstallShield 2012 SP1. (See the Read Me First sticky in this forum, among other places, for more information.)

Thank you for your quick response. I figured it had been reported, and that a SP would be needed, just haven't read all of the stickies / blogs yet. But there's some great info. on the blogs, I've already found an answer there for several things I've wondered about. :)

MichaelU
11-03-2011, 02:28 PM
I'm glad to hear you've found the blogs helpful! I saw your post (http://community.flexerasoftware.com/showthread.php?p=472702#post472702) the other day, and couldn't figure out how to thank you without letting it go to my head. :cool:

Shuttledude
11-03-2011, 03:38 PM
I can confirm that Service Pack 1 has fixed this issue! :)

But ... it's been replaced with a more serious issue ... instead of the final feature string being displayed all the time, some features are always being installed, whether they are selected or not, in a Custom install! In fact, some features install even if NO features are selected in the Custom install! :eek:

I do not have any logic associated with any of the checkboxes (i.e., not automatically selecting Oranges if Apples are selected, etc.) -- don't even know how to do this!

Another thing... before SP1 was applied, clicking Custom showed all features selected by default. Now only some of them are selected by default.

I will make this the subject of another thread, giving some feedback on SP1 in general.

EDIT: After more research, I cannot reproduce this with a new project that I created today. And after modifying both projects that had the problem yesterday (removed the existing release build, built a new release, changed feature names, deleted features, etc.) the problem has simply vanished. Conclude: does not seem to be a problem now, sorry for any alarm I may have caused.

MichaelU
11-04-2011, 12:54 PM
Phew. That thread had us a little worried, though we couldn't reproduce in a quick test. If you have a backup of the .issuite that reproduced it and can share it with us (or even better yet, both it and a similarly structured one that does not), it might be interesting for us to figure out what was going on, or any related pitfalls.

But if it's all working now, that's all you really need. :)

Shuttledude
11-04-2011, 01:03 PM
Giving you the *.issuite project would probably be no big deal. But I wouldn't be able to send the packages themselves, so you wouldn't be able to compile and run it, sorry.

This morning I made an attempt to keep the *.issuite and modify it to make it "clean" but still broken -- I renamed the features and packages, and pointed them to small "hello world" installs. I thought that this would keep the underlying broken framework in place, but just install vanilla apps that I could send as a whole package. MUCH to my surprise, when I did this it all worked! Wierd to say the least. But if you want the *.issuite project itself, I can probably get permission to send that.

MichaelU
11-04-2011, 01:15 PM
Definitely a little odd, unless you'd added actions or bindings to the UI that don't have any effect on the changed feature names. I can still take a look if you want, but it sounds like the value is likely to be minimal.

Shuttledude
11-04-2011, 02:32 PM
Give me an email where I can send the information to you.

As a bonus ;) I'll also send a separate project that has an entirely different problem ... won't auto-uninstall the packages when you select the main (suite-level) app itself in Add/Remove Programs.

I will be sending via a program called SAFE so it won't have my return address directly. We can carry on this conversation via private email (I will include that with what I send).

MichaelU
11-07-2011, 03:39 PM
I sent you a private message; we'll see what we can figure out.