PDA

View Full Version : Suite Package Files

rguggisberg
09-29-2011, 01:13 PM
Is there a way to select a folder and all of its subfolders for the Package files?
It looks like I can only select files and Have to make all the subfolders manually and then drop the files in individually. This is tedious and error prone.
Thanks.

rguggisberg
10-03-2011, 07:25 AM
It is easy to add files to 'Package Files', but I can't drop a folder and it's contents in there. What am I over looking?

bryanwolf
10-05-2011, 11:28 AM
Unfortunately, as far as I can tell, the only opportunity you'd have to add a series of files and folders in this way is when you initially add the package. For now, I don't know that there's a great to augment this process to make it less error prone.

Because of the nature of this particular issue, if you have a support plan, you'd probably get more visibility to the issue if you used that to log a support incident for this request.

rguggisberg
10-05-2011, 02:06 PM
I wouldn't mind doing that, but I can't even add a series of files and folders when I initially add the package.

rguggisberg
10-06-2011, 08:45 AM
Got it figured out. I will post solution below for others.
The trick is that when you make a new Package in the Packages view a window pops up that gives you 4 choices:
1. Add Nothing
2. Add Adjacent Files
3. Add Files in Subfolders
4. Add Adjacent Files and Files in Subfolders
Choose number 4 to get all the files.
I hope this will pick up new files/folders if any are added, but I have not tested that.
The next problem you may run into is a -1007 error because the path is too long on the build location.

MichaelU
10-06-2011, 02:30 PM
It will add the files statically, and will not watch the path for updates. We are looking into adding support for an equivalent to Dynamic File Links in a future release.

rguggisberg
10-07-2011, 07:14 AM
Michael,
Thanks for the reply. I for one appreciate the way you Flexera people assist on this forum. Not that I am trying to get by cheap (we do have a maintenance contract). This method is more educational.

Support for an equivalent to Dynamic File Links is VERY HIGH on my wish list! I am going to use Suite projects to replace DemoShield projects. Of course we know DemoShield has been EOL for 3 years, so I am not comfortable continuing with it, even though it does the job.

One thing I have to admire about DS though is that I can have multiple install packages and I do not need to change my DS project or do anything with it between releases. In fact, I don't need to change it between versions! With a Suite project it looks like I will have to delete and re-add each package with each IS build. Unfortunately, that means making ALL changes in the Packages view every time we do a build!

MichaelU
10-07-2011, 11:23 AM
There are a lot of design approaches you can take to minimize the number of changes you would need to make in the suite project. For example you could build your MSI project in a partially compressed fashion: instead of loose files, group them into .cab files. Optionally build your MSI completely compressed, and then the file list would never change.

On our end we can look into a way to refresh the static links (remove stale and add new file references), or implement the dynamic link. I'm not sure there's a clear winner between the two, so I'll keep both on our list.

rguggisberg
10-07-2011, 11:38 AM
I'd like to keep the original packages as they were so that they can be installed individually as they always have been, or via the Suite.

MichaelU
10-07-2011, 11:58 AM
Right; if you can't install it individually, you can't install it from a Suite anyway. All I'm saying is that (in the Basic MSI project) you might be able to choose build options that result in fewer changes to the list of files it outputs. (Obviously the content of those files is likely to change.)