PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade paths don't work

Glen T
04-13-2010, 01:09 PM
I have product (v2.4) that has been distributed with an Installshield Express 2008 installer. We set up product Upgrade Codes when our v2.4 was released. Now we are releasing version 2.5 and have migrated the installer projects (and Upgrade Codes) to the 2.5 installers.

The problem is that, no matter what options I put in the Upgrade Paths, I cannot get the new release to automatically remove the previous release. I always get a message stating "Another version of this product is already installed... use Add/Remove Programs on the Control Panel."

I've tried using various combinations of min and max version numbers. I've tried enabling "Ignore Remove Failure." Nothing works.

I should mention we use a versioning number systems that is simpler that than the 'standard' system (2.4.01 vs 2.04.0001) so maybe this has screwed things up. On the other hand, I've tried using a min version 0.00.0000, but that doesn't work either.

The installer DOES recognize our executable version numbering and will not overwrite executables with the same version number when we do upgrades (unless we specifically tell it to overwrite) so it does seem to understand our versioning that much.

Suggestions welcome.