PDA

View Full Version : Uninstall does not remove registry keys...

isuser1
12-08-2009, 09:42 AM
We have attempted to force uninstall to remove the registry entries for our application. We tried all of the options without any changes in behavior. No matter what options we use...they always remain.

What's going on?

MattQVI
12-09-2009, 05:02 PM
After updating registry... the machine typically needs to be rebooted for the changes to take effect. You can also force the reboot after install and uninstall. There should be a parameter for it somewhere in the product table (or something similar).

isuser1
12-30-2009, 03:23 PM
Thanks for the info...however that doesn't seem to be the issue.
I have for years now wondered why the registry keys that were installed always remained.

In some sense, this is forcing interesting side affects when things are re-installed (albeit the re-install generally updates things), it is still quite embarrassing to have this occur.

I am still without a solution. I've tried all kinds of methods without any success...

It appears I am 'alone' in this effort??

KathyMorey
12-31-2009, 10:11 AM
Could you be a little more specific? What kind of registry entries? What kind of project? If it's MSI-based, have you logged the uninstall?

I have found that some DCOM registration entries have been left behind on uninstalls for no reason that I could find, for example, but I've not had issues with other types of entries.

isuser1
04-07-2010, 11:51 AM
This is still an ongoing issue and what we consider extremely straight forward (we have no requirement for complex installations).

We simple include our existing registry data to the destination Computer Registry (drag and drop from the source to the destination - edit a few items and that's it). Our Feature is "All Application Data".

During the un-install...nothing in the registry is removed...
Again, very straight forward. We expected to see the same things that were laid down, to be removed...

The files work this way...but the registry data does not.

isuser1
04-09-2010, 09:39 AM
Is this really that tough???
Why is it so hard to find an answer to this question???
What happened to support???
Anybody???

I want to kick this product!! :(

isuser1
04-09-2010, 10:08 AM
FYI: even though the following is listed for registry data, it makes no difference to the uninstall behavior (nor to the Feature being used - I have used Always Install or left it set to the default (all application data)

Icon
Command
Description

Install only (+)
(Express projects only) If the key does not already exist, it is created. The key is not uninstalled when the feature to which this key belongs is uninstalled. This option is available only for keys that do not contain values.

Uninstall entire key (-)
(Express projects only) If this flag applies to an empty key, the key is not created at installation. If this flag applies to a key that contains values, the key and values are created at installation if the key does not exist on the target system. In both cases, the key, all subkeys, and values are removed at uninstallation—even if the subkeys and values were added after the installation.

Install if absent, Uninstall if present (*)
(Express projects only) This option creates the key and any values at installation if the key does not exist on the target machine. At uninstallation, the key, all subkeys, and all values are removed—even if the subkeys and values were added after the installation.

Automatic
This is the default behavior. It ensures the existence of the key on the target system. At installation, keys and values are created if they do not exist and are overwritten if they do exist on the target system. At uninstallation, this option removes only those values that were created at installation. It does not remove the key unless the key is empty.
-----
So what is the answer??