PDA

View Full Version : Binary Table custom action and Vista problem

Tim Mayert
10-02-2009, 10:52 AM
Hello, I just wondering if anyone has encountered this issue and what I can do to get this to work.

We have a custom action that calls a .exe file, that is stored in the binary table, and it calls it in Immediate sequence.

On XP this works perfectly fine, but on Vista it will come up with an error stating that no association is found for the file being triggered. Capture of the error is shown below. Vista is trying the launch the .tmp file instead of the .exe file as that is how it is exported out of the binary table.

How can I get it to trigger this correctly without this error. Can the file name be extracted with the .exe name instead of a .tmp file name?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

MichaelU
10-02-2009, 11:21 AM
How is this called? If it's an EXE custom action, I would expect it to just work. Can you provide steps to create a sample project with just such a failing exe custom action?

If instead you're invoking it through some custom code, by calling something like ShellExecute or LaunchApplication on it, the symptoms might make sense except I would have expected you to already use a better name for the extracted binary.

Tim Mayert
10-02-2009, 11:42 AM
Yes it is just a standard .EXE custom action call.

So here is what we do:
1. Create custom action with Action Type as
Type
Launch an executable

2. Action Parameters
Source
<location of .exe file>\filename.exe

Target
command line parameters that are excepted for .exe file.

3. Additonal Options
Return Processing
Synchronous (Ingnore exit code)

4. Respond Options
In-Script Execution
Immediate Execution

Execution Scheduling
Always execute

5. Insert into Sequence
Install Execute Sequence
After InstallValidate

Install Execute Condition
<No Condition - always triggered install and uninstall>

One thing to note is that we only seem to get this error message if we are running the .msi from the command line in basic mode. If running from setup.exe then this error message does not occur.

Thanks for your help,

Tim Mayert
10-02-2009, 12:33 PM
Opps, must be Friday....

The tester and even myself was running the msi command line from a regular command prompt instead of a Run as Administrator command line prompt.

Now this still does bring up the question as to why if you are not admin it extracts the file as a .tmp and gives this error message.