PDA

View Full Version : App not running on test machies

Cliff Sherrill
05-08-2009, 11:21 AM
TIA for your time

I have a .NET application that seems to be missing a needed file as it runs on some machines but not others.

The app was developed on a Vista machine using Visual Studio 2008 and written in C#. The program also has a privately installed version of SQL Server Compact Edition 3.5 as part of the application.

Predictably the app runs just fine on the development machine and the database is modified as expected. All is well.

I am using InstallShield 2009 Express Edition v15 as my deployment tool and have, I believe, added all of the “dependencies” asked for by InstallShield in order for the app to be installed on other machines. One such file is .NET framework. In fact I added ALL of the stated static and dynamic dependencies shown in an effort to “make things work”.

In testing all went well with an XP box that has (interestingly enough) .NET studio installed? So the installation and execution works on certain machines. However, on other testing machines (that don’t have .NET Studio) I have received the following error message upon running:

“Attempted to read or write protected memory, often an indication that other memory is corrupt.”

In all other respects these “testing machines” that are generating the error seem just fine as far as memory is concerned and work with other apps normally.

I believe that I am missing something such as a .dll or .ocx or a .NET file in my installation to target machines? My clue is that the only other machine besides the development machine where the program ran properly has .NET Studio installed.

Another clue is that when I try and uninstall the software via the Start Menu option I am told: “this action is only valid for products that are currently installed”. However, when I use Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs the product is there and can be uninstalled?

I might add that on all of the machines tested, the installation went well and the program launched, but as I tried to “use” the program, the above error message was received.

Thanks, hope this helps as I am stuck.
Cliff