PDA

View Full Version : Insufficient disk space



NewsArchive
10-15-1997, 12:00 AM
On Tue, 14 Oct 1997 18:19:44 -0400, John Smith <jsmith@company.com> wrote:
>Autoexec.bat, Windows95 automatically uses C:\Windows\Temp. There are
>no limitations set for swap file size, and this isn't even the biggest

Please DO specify a TEMP variable and set it to C:\Windows\Temp. it should
allow the installation to proceed.

Stefan
ellipse data systems

NewsArchive
10-15-1997, 12:00 AM
Tried that, still didn't work. I don't think it would be an acceptable
work-around anyway. One of the reasons Windows 95 is easier for end
users is that they DON'T have to edit autoexec.bat as often. If you've
ever supported them, the less they mess with system files, the better.
I work for a software development house, the less I have the customer
mess in the system, the better. I'm really losing faith in this
product, and I'm the one in my company who fought for it. I have a
friend who uses WYSE Install, it's looking better and better.

Stefan Paetow wrote:
>
> On Tue, 14 Oct 1997 18:19:44 -0400, John Smith <jsmith@company.com> wrote:
> >Autoexec.bat, Windows95 automatically uses C:\Windows\Temp. There are
> >no limitations set for swap file size, and this isn't even the biggest
>
> Please DO specify a TEMP variable and set it to C:\Windows\Temp. it should
> allow the installation to proceed.
>
> Stefan
> ellipse data systems

NewsArchive
10-17-1997, 12:00 AM
On Wed, 15 Oct 1997 09:31:53 -0400, John Smith <jsmith@company.com> wrote:
>Tried that, still didn't work. I don't think it would be an acceptable
>work-around anyway. One of the reasons Windows 95 is easier for end

Can I ask a quick question... is that installation that complains run on a
FAT32 system?

Please let me know asap

Stefan
ellipse data systems

NewsArchive
11-22-1999, 01:00 AM
When attempting to test the install of a program written in delphi 5 and
packaged with the bundled version of Installshield we get the above error.

This ONLY occurs when trying to install from a CD.

The program installs ok from the build directory but once written to a cd it
fails.

I suspected a faulty cd but after a copy of the entire cd to a directory on
hard disk (even on the drive I am attempting to install to, with 1.5 gb
free) I am able to install from there.

This problem only seems to occur with a custom install
but as the standard install is only10mb in siz as oppsed to 150 mb I am
unsure as to the relevance of this.

Any clues ??

Barrie

NewsArchive
11-23-1999, 01:00 AM
Barrie,

Let me preface my comments by stating that I am not a ISX guru. I
have periodically tried to use the bundled versions and have had
success whenever I distributed applications with it. However, the
bundled versions *do* have limits, one of which is the inability
to create a single "setup" exe.

Since you are using the bundled version of ISX for D5, you are
creating a floppy disk install. I assume that when you create
your distribution CD you are copying each floppy folder/directory
to the CD as they are created on your hard drive by ISX.

When you copy/burn files to a CD they are by default given a read
only attribute by your CD writing software. I know that ISX
creates some files in your Window/Temp folder prior to commencing
with the install. Exactly what or why I don't know, since we
can't get "under the hood" but here is what I suggest:

1. Try creating the floppies and make them read only by moving
the tab and try running the install from these disks to see if
you get the same error.

2. Make sure that when you burn your CD you use the ISO9660
standard setting, DOS 8.3 file naming conventions, rather than
Joliet (long file names) as older CD readers have problems with
this setting.

I mention this because I suspect that your install routine is
attempting to write to the CD and thus your error message.

I am not sure what you are referring to when you mention a
"standard" and "custom" install but nevertheless I don't believe
that this is where your problem lies.

HTH
Later . . .
Dom


Barrie Stevens wrote:
>
> When attempting to test the install of a program written in delphi 5 and
> packaged with the bundled version of Installshield we get the above error.
>
> This ONLY occurs when trying to install from a CD.
>
> The program installs ok from the build directory but once written to a cd it
> fails.
>
> I suspected a faulty cd but after a copy of the entire cd to a directory on
> hard disk (even on the drive I am attempting to install to, with 1.5 gb
> free) I am able to install from there.
>
> This problem only seems to occur with a custom install
> but as the standard install is only10mb in siz as oppsed to 150 mb I am
> unsure as to the relevance of this.
>
> Any clues ??
>
> Barrie

NewsArchive
08-01-2000, 12:00 AM
Marko,

ComponentSetTarget() is only usefull for components in file media, not
for components in a script-created media, which do not have file groups,
so do not have user-defined variables to set.

Regards,

Tim.


Marko Kaiser wrote:
>
> you must call SetComponentTarget before calling the component
> tree...otherwise the system does not know where to install the files and
> could not determine disk space.
>
> Marko
>
> --
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> dSPACE Gmbh Marko Kaiser
> Technologiepark 25 Junior Software Developer
> 33100 Paderborn Phone: +49 5251-1638553
> Email: mkaiser@dspace.de
> Germany
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

NewsArchive
08-01-2000, 12:00 AM
So if your intention is right, you must call ComponentSizeRequired with your
script-defined media..and not MEDIA .if I am right. Or say MEDIA = yourmedia
before selecting components.

Marko

TechWIN wrote:

> Marko,
>
> ComponentSetTarget() is only usefull for components in file media, not
> for components in a script-created media, which do not have file groups,
> so do not have user-defined variables to set.
>
> Regards,
>
> Tim.
>
> Marko Kaiser wrote:
> >
> > you must call SetComponentTarget before calling the component
> > tree...otherwise the system does not know where to install the files and
> > could not determine disk space.
> >
> > Marko
> >
> > --
> > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> > dSPACE Gmbh Marko Kaiser
> > Technologiepark 25 Junior Software Developer
> > 33100 Paderborn Phone: +49 5251-1638553
> > Email: mkaiser@dspace.de
> > Germany
> > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
dSPACE Gmbh Marko Kaiser
Technologiepark 25 Junior Software Developer
33100 Paderborn Phone: +49 5251-1638553
Email: mkaiser@dspace.de
Germany
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

NewsArchive
08-02-2000, 12:00 AM
Marko,

That's true. Script-defined media are only a way to present the user
some options in the same way he would see them when it's a file media.
What is done later with those selections, is entirely up to the script.
I my case, I'm storing them into BOOLEAN variables immediately after the
dialog, so they are easy to test later, and by then, I copy files
directly from the srcipt, usually by XCopy().

The reason for doing this by hand, is because our distrubutors can
decide by themselves which files have to be installed, when the user
selects such "options". They do not have to build a new cab-file (they
don't have IS), they only supply some files on some predefined
locations, burn a new master CD, and that's it!

Regards,

Tim.


Marko Kaiser wrote:
>
> So if your intention is right, you must call ComponentSizeRequired with your
> script-defined media..and not MEDIA .if I am right. Or say MEDIA = yourmedia
> before selecting components.
>
> Marko
>
> TechWIN wrote:
>
> > Marko,
> >
> > ComponentSetTarget() is only usefull for components in file media, not
> > for components in a script-created media, which do not have file groups,
> > so do not have user-defined variables to set.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Tim.
> >
> > Marko Kaiser wrote:
> > >
> > > you must call SetComponentTarget before calling the component
> > > tree...otherwise the system does not know where to install the files and
> > > could not determine disk space.
> > >
> > > Marko
> > >
> > > --
> > > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> > > dSPACE Gmbh Marko Kaiser
> > > Technologiepark 25 Junior Software Developer
> > > 33100 Paderborn Phone: +49 5251-1638553
> > > Email: mkaiser@dspace.de
> > > Germany
> > > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> --
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> dSPACE Gmbh Marko Kaiser
> Technologiepark 25 Junior Software Developer
> 33100 Paderborn Phone: +49 5251-1638553
> Email: mkaiser@dspace.de
> Germany
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~