PDA

View Full Version : sub-forum list is too flat!

Kelter
01-23-2009, 01:55 PM
The vast majority of my searches could be answered by any of the post-IS-Pro (ie: MSI era) subforums. The problem is, i either need to search on 5 different sub forums (very annoying), or search the whole installshield forum, gathering results from every version of installshield. this doesn't make sense.

is there a chance that the MSIish versions could be grouped seperately from the not-MSIish ones? this would probably cut down on the duplication of posts, as i've found very similarr conversations, with very similar solutions posted in different IS version forums.

thank you!

pv7721
02-04-2009, 08:29 AM
I asked the exact same question, almost an year ago, about the InstallAnywhere subforums: http://community.acresso.com/showthread.php?t=178853

Unfortunately, it seems that the trend of creating a sub-subforum by version is still going on...

Stefan Krueger
02-10-2009, 12:38 PM
All InstallShield versions since DevStudio 9 include both MSI and InstallScript project types. So you can't separate the technologies based on InstallShield versions.
Over at http://forum.installsite.net I have organized the sub forums by technology (sorry for the shameless plug :) )

Kelter
09-09-2010, 01:48 PM
This would all be okay if the search capabilities on this forum were upgraded. I mean, searching for a phrase should be pretty standard stuff. I'm not asking for RegEx, here...i just want to be able to search for a phrase in quotes...maybe even to use AND and OR in a search...is that too much to ask?

DebbieL
09-10-2010, 08:23 AM
You may want to try searching the community forums from the KB search on the Support Web site:
http://kb.flexerasoftware.com/selfservice/microsites/microsite.do?msid=MS_INSTALLATION_1_1

That page lets you search any combination of sources such as community forum threads, KB articles, and documentation on HelpNet. I just found out that the search supports the following operators:

quotation marks ("")—Enclose a phrase within quotes if you want to search for a particular string as is.
plus sign (+)—A word preceded by a plus sign with no intervening spaces is equivalent to the same word within quotes. This lets you search for a word exactly as it is. That is, no synonyms of that word are returned by the search.
double minus sign (--)—A word preceded by two minus signs with no intervening spaces means that you want to exclude that word from the search results.
OR—If two words in a search are separated by OR, the search results contain either word as is. For example, puppy OR dog will find documents that include the word puppy and documents that include the word dog. If the query contains additional words, they are not included in the OR phrase. For example, healthy puppy OR dog food will find documents that include healthy puppy food and documents that include healthy dog food.
asterisk (*)—An asterisk following all or part of a word outside quotation marks acts as a wildcard. For example, inst* will find documents that include any of the following words: install, installation, instruction, instigation, and so on.

I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but you may find it helpful.

Kelter
09-10-2010, 08:37 AM
well, that certainly seems like it might be helpful. :-)

thank you for your reply!