PDA

View Full Version : Cyrillic, Russian Characters Not Displaying

Greg R
12-03-2008, 06:51 PM
InstallShield has a variety of pre-defined dialogs which can be used to construct an installer. These dialogs range from things like the Welcome screen to the License Agreement screen, and so on. With these pre-defined dialogs, InstallShield provides a number of default translations of the strings used in the menus (i.e., the string “Welcome to the InstallShield Wizard for <PRODUCT_NAME>” for the Welcome screen). These strings are commonly used and are by default translated in all of the languages available in the InstallShield IDE. However, when viewing the Russian translation during an installation, the Russian Cyrillic characters in most of the translated strings are showing up as question marks (‘?’). This is happening for me in the Welcome dialog for instance (sdWelcome).

I don’t think there’s an issue with displaying Cyrillic characters though since certain Cyrillic strings are showing up fine (i.e., the Russian equivalents of “I accept the terms of the license agreement" and "I do not accept the terms of the license agreement” which are contained in the License Agreement dialog – sdLicense2).

It’s strange that most Russian translated strings are not displaying appropriately while a handful of the same default localized strings are displaying fine. Maybe different fonts are being use from text field to text field inside of any given dialog and one of the fonts doesn't support Cyrillic?

There are a handful of other posts related to this issue, but a solution wasn't provided. The installer I am creating supports Czech, English, French, Hungarian, Italian, German, Russian, and Spanish. I'm seeing this problem occur when running the installer on a US Windows XP OS and trying to install the Russian installer. It's important to note that when using a Russian Windows XP OS, the Cyrillic characters are displaying fine. Once again too, I am able to input Cyrillic and other unicode characters in text editors in the US OS though so I figured Cyrillic could be displayed in the installer there as well.

Does anyone know how I can get an installer to properly display ALL Cyrillic characters on each of the supported languages (regardless of the operating system language)?

Thank you,

Greg R