PDA

View Full Version : Recommended way to attach/detach database to sql server

laura_b
08-01-2008, 03:26 PM
In the past we have used SQLDMO and call a C++ dll through installscript to attach and detach our databases. With Sql 2005 Express SQLDMO is no longer included and Microsoft says you should use SQLSMO.

I tried writing a C# dll using SQLSMO and in the installscript using DotNetCoCreateObject to call the functions I wrote. But I get an error (I am running Vista) saying that the assembly does not allow partially trusted callers. I added the allowpartiallytrusted callers attribute to my C# assembly, but it does not seem to help. I think it is because SQLSMO does not allow partially trusted callers (whatever those are).

So I am wondering what my options are and what is the preferred method?

I can try wrapping my C# dll in C++ and call it in installscript like I was before. But I wonder if I would still get the same exception.

Or I can use osql to attach and detach. In SQLDMO we also called a function to make sure the sql server is started. I don't think osql has that capability.

Are there any other options? Or hints on how to get SQLSMO to work?

Thank you.

hidenori
08-01-2008, 04:22 PM
Instead of writing the new code, you may want to install the Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Backward Compatibility Components available at Feature Pack for Microsoft SQL Server 2005 (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=50b97994-8453-4998-8226-fa42ec403d17&displaylang=en). The package includes the latest version of SQL Distributed Management Objects (SQL-DMO) that works with Microsoft SQL Server 2005.