PDA

View Full Version : Silent Installations

Alfetta159
08-01-2008, 01:42 PM
I recently upgraded to 2009. I found that I had to set up my setup.exe with admin priviledges in order to make sure that some of my custom actions ran properly.

Now if I try to do a silent install by calling msiexec.exe thru the command line contained in a batch file, I find that in Vista, I have to run the batch "as administrator", and in XP, it just doesn't work.

In XP, I find that certain parts of the installation, specifically when I setup a folder on the target machine and grant certain security priviledges to that folder, it just doesn't happen. When I run the setup.exe, it installs fine in XP. But when I run msiexec.exe from the command line OR my setup.exe from the command line with parameters like /s /v/qb in order to do a silent install, it won't work. When I run my setup.exe command line contained in a runas administrator syntax, it won't work.

I'm not too worried because as a product, we're okay, but it's rather inconvenient for development and QA because we're finding all of our old batch files which were set up for silent installation just don't do a complete installation, and ironically our custom actions (which just run a small executable) run fine, but setting up a folder with specific security rights doesn't work.

Any ideas?

Thanks.