PDA

View Full Version : IS 2009 fails to patch, IS 2008 Works fine



neal007
06-10-2008, 01:01 PM
I updated my simple Basic MSI project to IS 2009 Pro. I added two files to be GAC'd, no big deal. Create releases, generate patch, fails! Something about a Error 6415 and fail to generate primary transform.

I go back to my IS 2008, add the two files, create releases, generate patch, it works!

mberterm
07-01-2008, 11:58 AM
Starting with a simple 'notepad' Basic MSI, I put together a patch to update it with 175 dynamically linked files. Both the base project, the new MSI & MSP were authored in IS 2009.

The build and installation completed successfully and without error. Admittedly, I was using the German language SP1 product at the time on German XP SP3 with VS2005, but these should not affect this outcome.

I'd like more information about your sample (I found some of these in Q110504 (http://support.installshield.com/kb/view.asp?articleid=Q110504)).


Which version(s) of the InstallShield product were used to author the base and new projects?
Were Dynamic File Links used in either project?
Was the build of the new project synchronized with the MSI of the old? (the 'Previous Package' setting in the Build tab of the release in the Releases view)
Can any patches be built on this machine?
If you use other types of files (replace the GAC files with Notepad) does the build complete successfully?

bryanwolf
07-01-2008, 05:59 PM
Can you post your complete build log file?

schmoli
09-03-2008, 04:50 PM
Was there any resolution to this? I just tried to create a minor update (in 2009) to a install originally created in 2008, and it wont' work (but if I take a recent build from just before the 2008->2009 conversion, it works fine).



******* Product: {63901636-98D7-4685-8729-2D85B94F3365}
******* Action:
******* CommandLine: **********
MSI (c) (28:34) [14:37:44:164]: Machine policy value 'DisableUserInstalls' is 0
MSI (c) (28:34) [14:37:44:211]: Cloaking enabled.
MSI (c) (28:34) [14:37:44:211]: Attempting to enable all disabled priveleges before calling Install on Server
MSI (c) (28:34) [14:37:44:226]: End dialog not enabled
MSI (c) (28:34) [14:37:44:226]: Original package ==> C:\WINDOWS\Installer\dbcdb.msi
MSI (c) (28:34) [14:37:44:226]: Package we're running from ==> C:\WINDOWS\Installer\dbcdb.msi
MSI (c) (28:34) [14:37:44:226]: APPCOMPAT: looking for appcompat database entry with ProductCode '{63901636-98D7-4685-8729-2D85B94F3365}'.
MSI (c) (28:34) [14:37:44:226]: APPCOMPAT: no matching ProductCode found in database.


Note: the product with that ProductCode is DEFINITELY installed... yet I get that message if the latest build is from 2009 and the previous is from 2008.