PDA

View Full Version : Setup fails with feature prerequisites



Weiman
06-10-2008, 02:35 AM
Hi,

I've just installed IS2009 and I'm trying to associate some of my prerequisites with features. The project (basic MSI) builds without errors but when I run the installation it exits before anything is installed. Here is the relevant part of the log file:


MSI (c) (E4:04) [08:32:22:062]: Doing action: ISInstallPrerequisites
Action 8:32:22: ISInstallPrerequisites.
Action start 8:32:22: ISInstallPrerequisites.
MSI (c) (E4:78) [08:32:22:062]: Invoking remote custom action. DLL: C:\DOCUME~1\ABB\LOCALS~1\Temp\MSI9.tmp, Entrypoint: InstallPrerequisites
InstallShield 8:32:22: Features with associated prerequisites are being installed or advertised. Finding setup.exe...
InstallShield 8:32:22: Looking for setup launcher in 'D:\Jowe\Install\DISK1' with name 'setup.exe'...
InstallShield 8:32:22: Checking for correct setup launcher 'D:\Jowe\Install\DISK1\setup.exe'...
InstallShield 8:32:22: Found matching product code in 'D:\Jowe\Install\DISK1\setup.ini'.
Action ended 8:32:22: ISInstallPrerequisites. Return value 3.
MSI (c) (E4:04) [08:32:22:843]: Doing action: SetupCompleteError


Any ideas?

Johannes

MichaelU
06-10-2008, 02:07 PM
I've not seen this fail at that step. Is there anything more you can say about the environment on which you're running the setup (version of windows, mapped drives being used, etc.), or perhaps attach the full log?

Weiman
06-11-2008, 02:32 AM
Hi Michael,

This was on VMWare running a clean XP SP3 guest. But I get the same result running on my dev machine with Vista SP1. I've attached the full log.

thanks,
Johannes

MichaelU
06-11-2008, 11:17 AM
I don't see any clear indicators in the log as to what's going on. I expect there's something in your installation package that we didn't account for. Could I get you to get a debugview log (per http://kb.acresso.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=Q106954&sliceId=1 but use a level of 7 instead of 2)? Alternately if you can reproduce this starting with a sample project and share the steps (add this merge module, or that large of a directory tree) to make it fail I could try debugging into it directly.

Weiman
06-16-2008, 10:36 AM
Hi Michael,

I haven't been able to reproduce this in a new project, but I managed to remove almost everything from my project and still have the error. I have uploaded a build here:

http://rapidshare.com/files/122862890/FeaturePrereqError.zip.html

It would be great if you could take a look at it.. I've also attached the debugview log.

thanks, Johannes

MichaelU
06-16-2008, 03:38 PM
Hi Johannes,
Thanks for the log and sample project. Using them I was able to confirm the cause and craft and verify a fix. This fix will be available in the near future, but contact me by email (murman) if you need it sooner (and can accept it not going through our QA first). This issue is now tracked under WO# IOC-000072480.

Weiman
06-17-2008, 02:23 AM
Thanks Michael, that's great news. I'll wait for the official fix :)

Johannes