PDA

View Full Version : Need of Digital signature

krishnaKumar
03-13-2008, 03:45 AM
Hi,

I am using InstallShield 2008 to develop a delopyment kit for our software. It is a Basic MSI project. The setup has been done and it is working fine. In the Project Assistant's Installation Requirements tab, radio button Yes has been clicked for the option "Does your application require any specific operating systems". Windows Vista has also been checked. My question is Can i run this setup file in a Vista environment? Is the digital signature mandatory if we have to install it in Vista environment?

waiting for your response at the earliest.

Thanks & Regards

Krishna

MichaelU
03-13-2008, 10:43 AM
Windows Vista Logo Certification requires the signature, but installing on Vista itself does not. It's still recommended to sign your binaries and installation so your customers know they received bits that you shipped. It also makes the installation UAC prompt the non-scary version.

The steps you've described sound like they should result in a package that will not install on OS versions before Vista (unless you had checked additional OS options that you didn't mention). There's no red flags in what you said, so I expect it would install fine on Vista.

LanceRas
03-13-2008, 12:12 PM
You realy are better getting a digital signature. They are not that expensive.

If you want to have your apps work with WinQual from Microsoft, your digital signature either has to come from Verisign (hmm wonder who owns a lot of Verisign...) or you get the digital signature from a different signing agency and then buy the special version of the Verisign digital signature that is intended only to authenticate your company for opening up a free WinQual account.

krishnaKumar
03-14-2008, 07:24 AM
Hi,

thanks for the reply. I have selected few other OS also like XP, windows erver 2003 etc. If i go for digital signature will i be able to install in all the above mentioned OS or will i be getting errors. I did run the setup file in the Vista environment and it worked fine except for one warning before installation "You are trying to Install some harmful ....". It goes like that. how do i avoid that.

waiting for your earliest response.

Thanx in advance

krishna kumar.P

MichaelU
03-14-2008, 10:42 AM
Using a digital signature will not prevent installation on earlier platforms; MSI 2.0 and up fully support signed MSI files. The dialog you're describing sounds like the "scary" UAC prompt alluded to earlier. Signing your MSI (and maybe EXE) file(s) should cause UAC to use the "non-scary" version.