PDA

View Full Version : Installing a feature to multiple locations

MGarrett
07-17-2007, 04:42 PM
For an Installshield 2008 pure InstallScript project (not MSI)
I have a feature that contains a couple of files, that I want to install to multiple locations based on the existence of certain folders. I don't know ahead of time how many locations there will be.
For example, for each folder in Program Files that begins with "3rdPartyApp", I want to install this feature. These "3rdPartyApp" folders have version numbers, so a single computer might have multiple versions: 3rdPartyApp1.1, 3rdPartyApp1.5, 3rdPartyApp2.0, etc...

So, what I've tried to do is use FindAllDirs to make a list of the folders in PROGRAMFILES, and parse out a list of the ones that contain "3rdPartyApp" in the name. I've now got a list of all the folders I want to install this feature into. This part works fine.
Next, I used FeatureSetTarget to define the target path for the first folder. This works for the first folder. However, at this point I get stuck.

My question is, after installing the feature into the first folder, how can I then set the next target and install the feature again? Or, can each feature only have one target?
Would I be better off just using XCopy to copy the files to each location?

If anyone can think of a better way to do this, I will be grateful.

Thank you all for your assistance.

praveendanam
07-18-2007, 03:54 AM
hai,

right now i dont have a complete solution for your problem.
If you are using XCOPY then you have to manage those files and folders while uninstalling also.

-praveen

MGarrett
07-18-2007, 09:03 AM
You are correct, that is why I am reluctant to just do an XCopy. I don't want to overly complicate my uninstall.

Does anyone know how to install a feature multiple times, after setting a new target? Is this even possible?