PDA

View Full Version : Install products - Good/Bad points comparison

Tim Mayert
07-06-2007, 08:52 AM
Hello, I do not know if this is the best place to ask this question, but I figured I would give it a try.

I am tasked with the job of doing research on different install applications and to come up with a good/bad listing of each type. I am looking for information on the most popular install applications and what the comparisons are between the types.

The main ones that I know of are:
IS 12/2008 - I currently use IS 12, but have 2008 but just not implemented as of yet as my projects are close to release.

Wise 7.0,
InstallAware 7.0,
Ghost Installer,
... etc

There are many more, but I only need to compare the most popular and some of the things I am looking for are:
Vista 32/64 support,

fully MSI compatible,

full configurable for admin push - group policy support - we get lots of requests to make sure our installs fully support push and easily configurable for admins to use,

be able to support custom actions,

licensing,

dialog modifications,

32/64 bit machines,
... etc.

Anyways if any one has used any of these install applications and can give me the good and bad points about each that would be great, even if it is only a little bit that would be fine. Of if you have other suggestions that would be good as well.

I have some separate comparison charts, but again they do the basic compare just to make it look like they are better than who they compare against, but getting the real low down on each would be more beneficial.

Thanks,