PDA

View Full Version : Building MSI takes unusual time

Ravi R
07-03-2007, 05:18 PM
I am using MSI project which was built in less than 3 minutes. After a couple of components (has 4 files totally).. it takes around 10 - 15 minutes .. (waits long time.. in Building File Tables !!!.. )
Its really frustrating to sit and watch it getting built for small small changes..

Thanks..

TsungH
07-03-2007, 07:12 PM
Build time depends not only on number of files, but also on size and location of the files. There are many things that may have an impact. You will have to find out what's causing the increase.

Ravi R
07-03-2007, 07:47 PM
Thanks for the reply..
I am actually building the project from a network share.. will that be a problem? Even for the previous build (which would take less than 3 mins), i used to build from a network share..
Is there any other way to update the File tables / see if any other junk files are there etc.?

TsungH
07-05-2007, 05:10 AM
I don't understand what you meant by "any other junk files." Express should only include files you specified in the project. Yes, you can view the content of msi file using Orca.

Ravi R
07-05-2007, 03:06 PM
Thanks Tsung... the actual problem was tht i have added a merge module which had 2 files with the similar name (case sensitive).. it took lot of time for building the file table.

Now instead of using the files in merge module, i have added the files in the project.
You were saying abt Orca.. can i have any links to learn it?

TsungH
07-05-2007, 07:41 PM
It's part of Windows SDK Components for Windows Installer Developers. You should be able to google it.