PDA

View Full Version : How to create a msi instead of exe

oliverlange
07-03-2007, 07:29 AM
:confused: Dear all,

i'am using install shield 11.5 and 12.0 express. Normally i use those to
create standard setup.exe files.

For a new project i'am now forced to create msi package.

Is there anyone out there who can give me hint, if

...i can produce msi package with installshield express versions instead of
setup.exe?

If so - what do i have to do, to get such a msi instead of the normally created setup.exe?

Hope for help and so far
may the source be with you

parmarpritesh
07-03-2007, 08:24 AM
Hello

you can use release wizard to publish a MSI package instead of setup.exe
during release wizard select "Custom" instedad of "Leave files uncompressed and separate from the installation package"
unchacked "create installation launcher(setup.exe)" and then press next button

by this way you can create MSI ...

oliverlange
11-30-2007, 03:02 AM
Hi again!

Sorry - but i can't find the "release wizard" and even not a
option field for setting "Custom" instedad of "Leave files uncompressed and separate from the installation package"

Perhaps it belongs to the type of project i have choosen, which is an express project type.

Hint: The reason for me to get an msi package is my wish to be able to get a silent installation of my application. Perhaps i can get a silent installation (which means - there is no interaction of the user needed) with setting
some oter values?

One important thing is, that the standard user onto the windows machine has to get the right to use my software. So the installation setting must be "for any user of the system". Will this setting be automatically be setted right within a silent installation?

Sorry for all those questions, but i'am just a noob .....

Oli

csuarez
07-29-2011, 10:04 AM
Hello

you can use release wizard to publish a MSI package instead of setup.exe
during release wizard select "Custom" instedad of "Leave files uncompressed and separate from the installation package"
unchacked "create installation launcher(setup.exe)" and then press next button

by this way you can create MSI ...

Hi! I begin to use InstallShield 2011 to create my installers. Using a basic msi project I finally get a setup.exe. But I don't know how to get the msi file, for example, what media type do I choose (default is network image)? I did what the post says but the above method doesn't work. I'm using the trial version, could that be the reason? Or what is exactly the process? Thanks.