PDA

View Full Version : MSI error 1271 on Windows Vista

allanj42
06-21-2007, 05:10 PM
My InstallShield 12 setup calls an EXE custom action.
When run under Windows Vista with UAC enabled, instead of issuing confirmation prompt, it fails with the message, "Error 1721. There is a problem with the Windows Installer Package. A program required for this install to complete could not be run. [exe name]."

When I run the EXE directly, UAC prompts me to confirm and it works.
When I run my setup with UAC disabled it also works.

I don't mind having my customers prompted by UAC to confirm running the custom action EXE, but I don't want to have to instruct them to disable UAC in order to run my setup.

What do I need to do to get the custom action EXE to run under UAC?

Masterjaffa
06-28-2007, 06:06 AM
Yo!

I got the same problem and I've allready posted my request on an other IS forum, but the answer didn't really help: I was told to set the CA to ignore the Exit-Code of the EXE, but when I do that the installations runs through but doesnt start the CA... :confused:

seems there is no real solution for this right now... but we have to wait until they fix this in an update or so...

Greetings,
MJ :)

allanj42
06-29-2007, 05:23 PM
I found a solution that works for me and might work for others.

Under Build Your Release > SingleImage (in my case) set Required Execution Level to Administrator. This not only allows the exe to run but prevents UAC from asking for confirmation for the exe (or for any other sub-process of setup apparently). UAC prompts once for confirmation to run setup.exe and that's all. Before, it would prompt to run the MSI, then fail to run the Custom Action.

I hope this is helpful to some others.

Jeff Allan
WellSight Systems Inc.

GeoMEM
02-01-2008, 07:56 AM
Hi Jeff

Many thanks for this item. I have just had the same problem in the same situation and this fixed it perfectly.

The sooner we all migrate to Linux the better !! At least Vista is driving a lot of users in that direction. ! :)

James @ GeoMEM

I found a solution that works for me and might work for others.

Under Build Your Release > SingleImage (in my case) set Required Execution Level to Administrator. This not only allows the exe to run but prevents UAC from asking for confirmation for the exe (or for any other sub-process of setup apparently). UAC prompts once for confirmation to run setup.exe and that's all. Before, it would prompt to run the MSI, then fail to run the Custom Action.

I hope this is helpful to some others.

Jeff Allan
WellSight Systems Inc.