PDA

View Full Version : Correct QuickPatch strategy

PetriS
06-11-2007, 12:42 PM
I'm trying to figure out a correct patching strategy with IS12Express.

Optimally, I'd like my clients to be able to download the latest version from our web site and install it, and older users would have the possibility to upgrade by using a patch.

Unfortunately that seems to be impossible with InstallShield 12 Express. As far as I understood, I have the following three options:

Base new QuickPatches on the previous QuickPatch, and only release a full install when there is a major upgrade. I don't like this as it would require the new users to download and install two files as opposed to installing only one file.
Make a new Full Install every time, and have separate lines of quickpatches based on each one. This is even worse as it would lead to an uncontrolled number of patch files in the future + it would require the users to know which base version they have.
Only make Full installs and don't use quickpathing at all. This is also not good as that would lead to uninstallation of the previous version every time and allow for a total screw up of the new installation as the users would have to install features in a different matter than originally.

So is there something I've misunderstood here ? What is the quick patch strategy others use ? My basic need is not that difficult, replace the EXE's and DLL's (and possibly PDF documentation) by newer versions. Anything more difficult than that would require a major upgrade strategy.

Perhaps I should just distribute the patches as a self extracting ZIP instead...

lonewolfes
07-23-2007, 01:58 PM
I'm in the same boat. I do not see a CLEAR patching guide or best practice.

Can someone please provide some insight?

thanks
Eric

Glen T
08-07-2007, 07:01 PM
We do continuous improvement on our software. Consequently, we issue about 35 patches for each major version. We quickly found out that ISX patching was unworkable, because end up having to patch a patch.

We ended up dumbing down an ISX install by turning off all the uninstall options and setting up to always overwrite. So we do our own update, install only the files we need, and the user only has to install the current (latest) update.

ISX may leave some files behind when the app is uninstalled, but the uninstall never fails.