PDA

View Full Version : Shortcuts not created for all users

Meshman
06-05-2007, 08:55 AM
Hi! I'm developing VB.Net 2005 apps and use Installshield Express 11.5 for distribution. One problem I'm having is that start menu shortcuts are only being created for the logged in user. Programs must be installed as Administrator and although they're created for that, no other user on that machine sees the shortcuts.

I don't see any option in the Shortcuts section to specify 'All Users' for its location... How do I get the installer to create shortcuts for ALL users?

Actually, where is the documentation for this product? There's nothing in the VS help for Installsheild and nothing on the start menu but the shortcut for the program.

Thanks!

Meshman
06-05-2007, 11:05 AM
I did some looking around and found that if I right click Shortcuts and choose 'Show-> ALLUSERSPROFILE'.

it does show the ALLUSERSPROFILE. But when I click on that in the tree I get:

Runtime Error: Type mismatch: 'PopAndShow'

...from IS.

How do I get this thing to create a simple shortcut without crashing? And am I doing this the right way? I haven't a clue since there seems to be no documentation for this product. Guessing at everything isn't going very well.

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks!

Meshman
06-06-2007, 11:46 AM
Hey! I solved the problem! Just follow these easy steps:

- Uninstall installshield
- Toss all relevant media in the garbage where it apparently belongs
- Buy something that actually works and is documented
- Never do business with Macrovision again

Macrovision, I'd highly recommend documenting your products and not ignoring your customers. It pisses them off to no end, especially when they pay for this privilege. My only regret is being ripped off to discover this.

Jixxer78
06-08-2007, 01:23 PM
Hey! I solved the problem! Just follow these easy steps:

- Uninstall installshield
- Toss all relevant media in the garbage where it apparently belongs
- Buy something that actually works and is documented
- Never do business with Macrovision again

Macrovision, I'd highly recommend documenting your products and not ignoring your customers. It pisses them off to no end, especially when they pay for this privilege. My only regret is being ripped off to discover this.

I totally agree. I have this same problem and I have no idea what is wrong. Installshield is total garbage. I've been trying to figure out why it keeps adding shortcuts to my local user's program menu instead of the all users program menu for about 2 hours now. I have had no success what-so-ever.

Meshman
06-12-2007, 09:37 AM
As expected, Macrovision has ignored me.

Anyone that is thinking of buying Installshield should run screaming into the street. These people are one of the worst I have ever dealt with. Their product documentation is non-existent and their support doesn't exist unless you have a wheelbarrow full of cash. Try installaware.com. They offer a great MSI installer and will give a 30% discount if you have a Wise or IS serial #. They'll give email support for issues like this one free. Or there's plenty of other choices.

Odd thing is, I ask myself, what is the benefit of paying for this product over pirating it? The answer is apparently, none. I suppose I should have noticed the brick wall appearance of the support site before buying it (we didn't pirate it) but IS is supposed to be the best. If you're here with that impression, leave now. These people suck and good riddance to them.

Manthao
07-06-2007, 03:04 AM
One newbie question : the problem exist on all Install Shield Projects?
Also, I would like to know the severity of the problem and how will it affect the users.
Thanks!

I'm also using Install Shield 11.5 Express