PDA

View Full Version : Unable to register dll in Pocket PC

ctsridhar
05-28-2007, 06:17 AM
Hi all,

I have created a Basic MSI Project which will install applications in Desktop and Pocket PC. The Pocket PC application requires a dll to be registered in Pocket PC. I added the dll in Mobile device installations and checked the "Self-register" checkbox. But the dll is copied in Windows folder of Pocket PC but not registered. When I try to register it manually it gets registered and working fine. Can anyone help me out to register a dll in Pocket PC during Installation process.

Thanks in advance.

Regards
Sridhar

davidh
05-29-2007, 10:13 AM
Can you check the inf file used by the build to make sure the file is set to be self-registered?

Here is an example place where you will find the inf file:
C:\TEMP\InstallShield Express Projects\My Project Name-32\Interm\My Company My Project Name-32.inf

Look for an entry like this:
[DefaultInstall]
CopyFiles = Files00
CESelfRegister = MyFile.dll

Also, perhaps as a workaround you could manually specify the necessary registry entries in the mobile wizard.

Please let us know what happens because if there is a problem with this we definitely need to get it fixed.

ctsridhar
05-31-2007, 12:30 AM
Hi David,

Thanks for your reply. I checked the inf file. First of all i would like to know if it is mandatory for the inf file to reside in folder specifically named "Interm". However in our current application setup the inf file resides in ...\Project Configuration 1\Release 1\CEApps folder. We have checked the contents of inf file as indicated by you and the entries are available as mentioned by you.

The entries in my inf file looks like as follows:

[SourceDisksFiles.PPC420]
"MyDev1.dll" = 1
"MyDevApp.exe" = 2
"MyDev2.dll" = 2

[DefaultInstall.PPC420]
CopyFiles = Files00.PPC420, Files01.PPC420
CEShortcuts = Shortcuts00.PPC420
AddReg = AddRegistry.PPC420
CESelfRegister = MyDev1.dll, MyDev2.dll

[Files00.PPC420]
"MyDev1.dll",,,0x40000003
"MyDev2.dll",,,0x40000002

[Files01.PPC420]
"MyDevApp.exe",,,0x40000002

Both MyDev1.dll and MyDev2.dll are not registered in Pocket PC during installation.

Also please note that we had built the same application using the Installshield Professional 12 evaluation version successfully. It is only after this that we had recommended purchase of licensed version to our clients.

We seem to have problems while building the same application with licensed version. We request you to look into this matter seriously on a top priority and provide us the solution at the earliest.

Regards
Sridhar R

davidh
05-31-2007, 10:54 AM
I can't guarantee high priority with this (rapid responses) because this is the community. You might want to try support if you have that option. However, I would be glad to help.

Anyway, the location of the inf file does not matter.

The inf file you showed looks fine to me since it has the registration entries. Perhaps you can compare the inf file that worked before with the current inf file.

I'm also a little confused about what version of the product you are using, since this is the 12 Express community. However there should be no difference between the evaluation and full version of the product that would affect this scenario.

Lastly, how do you know the registration did not work and does this behavior occur on multiple mobile devices? You do not see the entries you need in the mobile registry?