PDA

View Full Version : How to include a visual studio specific prerequisite (KB908002) ?

Frank_Leigh
05-21-2007, 12:09 AM
Hi,

I'm trying to deploy a Office Shared-Addin project developed using Visual Studio 2005.

However, there was a bug as outlined in KB908002 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/908002) which prevented all shared-addin projects from working unless a fix is installed.

Microsoft released a patch to Visual Studio that allows you to include this fix as a prerequiste for it's setup and deployment projects however as I use Installshield, I can't seem to find a way to include this prerequiste in my Installshield project.

Has anyone else run into similiar problems before?

Any suggestions on fixing this is highly welcomed as I've been banging my head against this for a while now! :confused:

Thanks.

jedimaster_mark
10-04-2007, 08:44 AM
This bothered me for a while. This is a pretty simple fix, but it's non-obvious. Install the fix in the article, and make a dummy setup project that requires it. When it builds, it will dump the files it needs into a folder named KB908002. Simply grab these files, and make your own prerequisite using them (in the prerequisite editor). The files you'll need should be:

extensibilityMSM.msi
lockbackRegKey.msi
office2003-kb907417sfxcab-ENU.exe

"Setup engineering is a lot like modern warfare; the best you can hope for is the least amount of collateral damage." - me

wiggers
04-22-2008, 11:40 AM
I've not used the Prerequisite Editor before. Which tab do you put them under?

Mark

jedimaster_mark
04-22-2008, 02:34 PM
I do not understand your question. Which tab do you put what under?

wiggers
04-23-2008, 04:46 AM
Sorry, just realised this a IS12E forum, I'm using IS11.5, but this was the only place I found this issue being discussed. I guess the Prerequisite thing is similar though, so would appreciate any tips you can give me.

I have the three files in the 'Files to Include' tab (see attached) but nothing seems to happen to them when I run the install. Do I need to set something in one of the other tabs to make them install?

Cheers,

Mark

Edit: Just seen from this thread: http://community.acresso.com/showthread.php?t=171215 that the Setup Prerequisite feature is broken for an InstallScript project under IS11.5.

jedimaster_mark
04-23-2008, 08:12 AM
You have to set the conditions under which you install those patches. So you'll need to find out what system changes are specific to those patches, and then check to see whether you already have them when the installer kicks off.

wiggers
04-23-2008, 09:02 AM
There is a note on the Conditions tab that says if there are no condition the prerequisite will always run. But it doesn't, so I think from what I read in the other thread this feature is broken for InstallScript installations, of which mine is one.

Thanks for taking the time anyway.

Mark

jedimaster_mark
04-23-2008, 09:11 AM
If you're using InstallScript, then why are you using this feature at all? I would think it would be easier to just write a script routine that installs these conditionally....

wiggers
04-23-2008, 09:15 AM
I was just following your suggested solution! Seemed simple enough...

jedimaster_mark
04-23-2008, 09:19 AM
The original solution was for an MSI project...