PDA

View Full Version : Need help creating backup during major upgrade...

scottm73
05-17-2007, 11:04 AM
Hello folks,

I'm trying to write a custom action to backup an Access mdb file from the original installation directory of my application when running a major upgrade. However, what I really need to know is how to get the original installation directory so that I can find the mdb file in question and do the work - the original and the upgrade directories aren't necessarily going to be the same. Does InstallShield write an MSI property exposing this path for developers? Obviously the setup has to find this information out itself internally in order to uninstall the original... Given that the IS help states that manual backup and restore of user files via custom actions is the way to go during major upgrades, I would have thought that I would have stumbled across the answer to this one myself already but have had no joy so far.

Thanks very much in advance,

Scott

P.S. is there a list somewhere of MSI properties (like IS_MAJOR_UPGRADE) that InstallShield specifically creates and uses ?

bertilh
05-25-2007, 06:37 AM
You could perform a System Search if you know the file name.
Then store the system search result in a public property that you can use in your custom actions.