PDA

View Full Version : Install new version without uninstalling older version

benoit808
05-08-2007, 11:28 PM
I am using IS Express 12 and I am aware that it only supports Quick Patches.
What I want is for a user who got the full installer of my app to be able to install it on top of the older one without first uninstalling it.
I don't need to install only the updated files, all I want is to be able to install the app as if it was a new install.
Currently it says that an older version is installed and you need to uninstall it first.
I couldn't find any option to change this behavior. Did I miss it or is it not possible to do that with IS Express?

Thank

Ben

carsten
05-09-2007, 02:23 AM
Keep the same "Upgrade Code" change the "Product Code" for every release of your app. go to the Upgrade Path in ISX and click on the original msi/exe setup file and enter the appropriate versions to upgrade.
Now the new installation willl automatically uninstall the old before installing the new, without any prompts

-cpede

benoit808
05-09-2007, 04:07 PM
Thanks, it worked...

It seems to work fine even though I didn't add any entries in the Upgrade Path.
Does that mean that it will update any version regardless?
Is the purpose of the upgrade Path to limit update to only certain versions?

microbrain
06-07-2007, 02:11 AM
:confused:
Yes, Changing product code works fine, But in the Help of InstallShield 12 Express & Help of Windows Installer it has mentioned that for minor change in Version, it is not necessary to change Product Code. Only package code has to be changed on every build. Product Code has to be changed when changes are major.

Not even when we change Product Version but on every build we have to change product code to unInstall Previous application & Install current application.

If we change product code on every build then how Quick Patch will work. If I will build quick patch after changing product version & product code, then will it patch my application of any previous version of my package.

Please explain me steps for the same.

Sanjay Shah