PDA

View Full Version : How do I give EVERYONE permission to my data?

vickyg2003
05-08-2007, 09:50 AM
I've been evaluating Installshield 12 Express, but I'm open to any other installshield product.

I want anybody who sits on the machine using my application to have full control over my datafiles without invoking virtual store in Vista, and still be able to run on other locations.

I've explored the Permissions tab on my directory, but that implies that I know the domains of all 11000+ users.

I've seen other setup products that allow users to specify where the data goes. Does Installshield have anything like that?

carsten
05-09-2007, 02:21 AM
I gave up using the build-in permissions in ISX and now uses the setacl.exe tool with /grant S-1-1-0 parameter. Remember you cannot use e.g. the "User" account because his has another name in e.g. Germany Windows etc. therefore use the S-1-1-0 GUID.

-cpede

vickyg2003
05-09-2007, 10:43 AM
Thanks, I've poked areound this forum and it looks like SetACL is a dos tool. Right now I've got an older version of InstallShield that is constantly giving me problems on XP. It seems that lots of out of the box XP-PC's shipped without an AutoEXEC.nt, making running DOS apps a problem.

Is this going to be an issue with out-of-the-box Vista machines.

carsten
05-14-2007, 01:00 AM
We have many customers on Windows XP and never heard of the problem? We are testing on Vista an have seen no problems?

But offcause you should never say never :)

-cpede