PDA

View Full Version : Install Requires Administrative Privileges

JimRich
05-03-2007, 01:08 PM
In my install project under Gen. Info., I have Require Administrative Privileges set to No. Under Prepare for Release, Build Your Release, Builds, CD_ROM, I have Required Execution Level set to Invoker.
When I try to run this install on a Vista computer, I have to right click the Setup.exe icon and make sure the Install as Administrator box is checked or the install errors out with Error 1925.
Does anybody know how to fix this? With the settings I have in the installer I would think it would work on Vista without having to check the box Install as Administrator.

MichaelU
05-03-2007, 05:25 PM
The option under General Information should not be set to no unless you are creating a per-user (limited user) installation. The error message 1925 indicates you had tried to do an installation for all users.

Among the things you can't do in a per-user installation, you'll find you can't install files under the ProgramFilesFolder, or registry information under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE. Instead you're limited to the user's personal folders and HKEY_CURRENT_USER.

Chances are you want the option to say yes, or you want to avoid setting the installation for all users.

JimRich
05-04-2007, 07:36 AM
Thanks for the help, I'll try your suggestion.

TheHouz
05-04-2007, 04:31 PM
Vista has re-written the rules for what you can do where. I have to do things for all users, so I Invoke as administrator.

Hopefully, you will not be touching HKLM or "program files", or you are in for a lot more fun.