PDA

View Full Version : unable to add shortcuts to non-exe files

khackbarth
04-24-2007, 11:38 AM
I have a help system that is just a series of web pages in a Help directory. I'd like to add a shortcut from the start menu to the table of contents HTML document. When I try to add a shortcut to the file, it will not display in the Browser for Shortcut Target dialog.

I've attached a screen shot of the dialog with *.* selected as the file type. Take my word for it, there are over 60 files in this folder and they have already been added to the files list.

Any suggestions?

TIA,
Ken

khackbarth
08-23-2007, 12:02 PM
Never got a reply to this post:( . I'm hoping by resurrecting it, I will.

TIA,
Ken

Glen T
08-23-2007, 01:52 PM
Believe it or not, Ken, you have to click the Open button before it will show the list of available files. :confused:

khackbarth
08-23-2007, 02:06 PM
I don't believe it! But I'll definitely give it a try.

Many thanks,
Ken

Glen T
08-23-2007, 02:55 PM
I don't believe it! But I'll definitely give it a try.

Many thanks,
Ken
I reproduced your problem in ISX12 by accident, by opening the dialog and checking what was there, then adding a .htm file to the project (mine didn't have one) and then going back to the dialog again. What I found was that not only did I not see the new file, I didn't any files that I saw before. It was by ACCIDENT that I clicked on the Open button, and suddenly the list was refreshed.

khackbarth
08-23-2007, 02:58 PM
thank God for accidents!

Thanks,
Ken

P.S. I wonder if Macrovision reads these posts, you would think they could have answered the question easily when I first asked it back in April.

Glen T
08-23-2007, 03:10 PM
thank God for accidents!

Thanks,
Ken

P.S. I wonder if Macrovision reads these posts, you would think they could have answered the question easily when I first asked it back in April.It's kind of hit and miss.

Part of my function is software testing, so trying things at random is part of my job. ;) Glad it worked out for you.