PDA

View Full Version : Automatic reinstall with IS Express

daisywheel
04-10-2007, 03:44 AM
Hi All,

I'm using IS Express to make installation package. When I create new installation with updated files and try to install on PC with previous version of my software I get message that I have to remove the old version with Add/Remove engine before installation.

How could I do it automaticly to avoid disturbing of end-users?

tnx,
Roman

TsungH
04-10-2007, 06:51 PM
This thread (http://community.installshield.com/showthread.php?t=153016&highlight=major+upgrade) might point you in the right direction.

daisywheel
04-13-2007, 04:18 AM
I can't find package code in IS Express but I've solved this issue by changing the product code. Maybe this is not hte best solution but it solve the problem with minimum efforts

praveendanam
04-13-2007, 04:27 AM
hai,

try to uninstall your old applicaiton and do new installation. thru your new installation only

-praveen

daisywheel
04-13-2007, 07:05 AM
hai,

try to uninstall your old applicaiton and do new installation. thru your new installation only

-praveen
I want my installation package do it automaticly but it seems to be a difficult task with IS Express edition...:(

daisywheel
04-13-2007, 07:07 AM
I can't find package code in IS Express but I've solved this issue by changing the product code. Maybe this is not hte best solution but it solve the problem with minimum efforts
It's not a solution - new instance of application appears in Add/Remove tab every time I change the product code....
Keep looking for solution

daisywheel
04-13-2007, 07:31 AM

This is not a solution - new instance of application is added to Add/Remove tab when product code is changed.

But I found another workaround. If set to No "Use Add/Remove Programms" in General Information you can don't change even product code to overwrite old installation with newer one...:confused:

TsungH
04-19-2007, 08:37 PM
Did you use Upgrade Paths view as mentioned in the referenced thread? You will probably want to do a search on major upgrade, and get a complete picture on how different kinds of upgrade work in MSI.