PDA

View Full Version : Visual Studio 2005

Carl Cook
04-08-2007, 01:03 PM
Ok, I'm really confused. I paid for InstShield 12 Express. Website says:

http://www.macrovision.com/products/flexnet_installshield/installshield/editions/express.shtml

Support for the Latest Technologies
- Visual Studio 2005 Support

Ok, good. IS12 Express supports VS 2005. I bought it for that and need it (now).

I click that link and go to...
http://www.macrovision.com/products/flexnet_installshield/installshield/features/Visual_Studio_2005_S.html

Visual Studio 2005 Support
FLEXnet InstallShield is the ultimate setup solution for .NET software developers with full support for Visual Studio 2005. InstallShield lets you create your installations within the same Visual Studio interface where you create your products, making .NET install authoring more efficient. All InstallShield's views are presented within the Visual Studio .NET Solution Explorer in a separate window, so no scrolling is necessary and side-by-side viewing options are available.

Oh, no wizard in IS 12 Express, eh? Ok, so how do I add it into VS 2005?! I start Installshield Express 12 and go to help and search "Visual Studio 2005" and NO RESULTS ARE RETURNED.

Ok, now that certainly *is* "full support for Visual Studio 2005" (sarc:rolleyes: ).

Halp. Actually, I have VB2005 Express.

Thanks,

Carl

bryanwolf
04-09-2007, 08:48 AM
If you open VS and go to File -> New Project, do you see a selection for InstallShield 12 Express?

Carl Cook
04-12-2007, 12:23 AM
If you open VS and go to File -> New Project, do you see a selection for InstallShield 12 Express?

Nope, but I'm using VB Express at the moment. Does that matter? It still says "Visual Studio Installed Templates" in the New Project window.

BTW, can *anyone* point me to *any* procedure for creating VS 2005 / VB2005 setups? Of course, it doesn't help when ISE12 crashes merely by going to Help | Search. After finding a way to search the help system, if you put in Studio 2005 you get no topics. If you put in Basic 2005 you get "Legal Information". Humm... *that* might be handy.

Thx

MichaelU
04-12-2007, 10:48 AM
Are you running on Windows Vista? To use InstallShield Express 12 (and probably most other versions) from within Visual Studio you need to run Visual Studio as an administrator.

Carl Cook
04-23-2007, 12:27 PM
Are you running on Windows Vista? To use InstallShield Express 12 (and probably most other versions) from within Visual Studio you need to run Visual Studio as an administrator.

Yes, Vista. Yes, running Installshield 12 Express with Admin Rights (specifically, that is, setting that exe to "run as administrator"), which, I believe, has nothing to do with supporting VB 2005 setup creation.

This is still unresolved.

Carl

MichaelU
04-23-2007, 03:39 PM
Oh, by VB Express do you mean "Microsoft Visual Basic 2005 Express Edition"? The Express editions of Visual Studio do not load third party extensions. Because of this, the two cannot be directly used together in the way our support for "Visual Studio 2005" (Professional) otherwise indicates.

Carl Cook
04-24-2007, 01:22 AM
Oh, okay. That's why I mentioned and asked if it was due to using VB2005 Express back on April 12th. Ummm... you might have someone put such a notation up on your web site asap, even if it's an * with a footnote. Maybe it's there, but I sure didn't see it. I, and likely others, presume that "support for Visual Studio 2005" without any qualification means it works for all versions of Visual Studio 2005. People pony-up their money only to find they can't make setups. Unfortunately due to tight integration, MSFTs limitations, purposeful as they may be, become your problems as well.

For clarity, you are saying that for the Express versions of Visual Studio, the only way to make setups with Installshield 12 is to do it manually (create an empty project and start adding "stuff"). Of course, while "doable", is prone to doing it wrong, as our world gets more and more complicated. Even MSFT's ClickOnce got tangled and stopped working for me. It magically turned into "Click Frantically" (to no avail).

Also, I find ZERO references to Visual Studio 2005 in the Installshield 12 Express help system when I search. It would be really nice if it talks how it works with Visual Studio 2005 and about this limitation too, but that is "post-sale", too late but helpful. And of course, there's the Help | Search... menu crash that ought to be fixed. Crashes for me 100% of the time. Maybe it works for others, who knows, since every Windows machine seems to be its own beast.

Thanks,

Carl

MichaelU
04-24-2007, 10:20 AM
I'm sorry I missed it earlier and, but yes that is the case. The only functionality you're missing out on is the ability to use Project Output Groups instead of manually linking your files. Our dependency scanners can still assist with the bulk of the usual concerns.

I see where you're coming from on the documentation side, but I'm not sure how to manage that in the future. Microsoft can continue to introduce new editions of their products with arbitrary feature sets after all. I don't expect it, but a future Express edition may allow third party extensions.

Carl Cook
04-24-2007, 11:34 AM
I'm sorry I missed it earlier and, but yes that is the case. The only functionality you're missing out on is the ability to use Project Output Groups instead of manually linking your files. Our dependency scanners can still assist with the bulk of the usual concerns.
Thanks. Progress is being made here.

I see where you're coming from on the documentation side, but I'm not sure how to manage that in the future. Microsoft can continue to introduce new editions of their products with arbitrary feature sets after all. I don't expect it, but a future Express edition may allow third party extensions.
I understand (40 year veteran in software (sheesh)), however, if your marketing guys are blaring the trumpets on Visual Studio 2005, your help system should at least have one topic on it, but that's just my opinion <wink>.

Thanks again.

Christopher Painter
06-01-2007, 10:26 PM
Actually it seems there is a way of injecting code into VS to enable add-ins. It has caused a huge uproar between TestDriven.net and Microsoft and resulted in the revocation of MVP status for the inventer and threatening lawsuit letters...