PDA

View Full Version : Windows Installer Versioning Rules not being followed

jhogsett
04-04-2007, 07:16 PM
We discovered that when we install a later version of our product over an earlier one, the Windows Installer Versioning Rules are not being applied to content files (only to exe and dll files).

The result is users get the new application with old content.

The version handling is set in file properties, and is set to Windows Installer Versioning Rules (Recommended).

The content files have the current date so according to these versioning rules at http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa368599.aspx the date should be enough to trigger the overwrite, bit it's not happening.

Why aren't my content files being overwritten?

TsungH
04-06-2007, 01:49 AM
Assuming the content files do not have a version, does this (http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa370531.aspx) explain the behavior?

jhogsett
04-06-2007, 11:06 AM
No. If you read the MSDN article on Windows Installer Versioning Rules (link in my original post) it states that a non-versioned file is overwritten unless the modified date is later than the creation date (indicating the user changed it). In our case these are non-modifyable content files so the creation date will always be equal to or later than the modified date.

TsungH
04-06-2007, 07:50 PM
Did you actually verify the timestamp on the files that were not overwritten? Another thing you can do is to create a verbose log which will provide additional info.

jhogsett
04-06-2007, 08:13 PM
Yes I did.

At this point I found a work-around (disable dynamic file linking; add each file; set the properties to always overwrite) so I'm done.

We're probably doing to stop using IS because it is so buggy.

bryanwolf
04-09-2007, 08:47 AM
Without having a log file, there's no way to verify what the exact behavior was. Because you changed your project, it looks like we can't figure out what problem was occuring and if it was InstallShield, Windows Installer, or something else.