PDA

View Full Version : Mobile 5 - pick whether to install to device or storage card

amy_voxland
03-30-2007, 04:30 PM
One difficulty with the Smart Device setups has always been that the install location of each file must be hard-coded, so the user has no option of where to install. In particular, if the user needs to install to their storage card, then I need to re-do the installer, pointing each file to the exact name of their storage card. I was hoping by now this would have become a little more flexible.

When I first ran on Mobile 5, I saw that it came up and asked whether to install on the device or the storage card, so I thought it was going to be really sweet. But whichever option I pick, it installs to the location that all of the files are set to... in this case \Program Files\MyApp\ on the device.

Is there any way to set up the install so that the user IS able to pick the device or the card, and have it install properly to either? (I'm using 11.5, by the way)

If not, is there a way to suppress giving the user the choice?

Thanks,
Amy

davidh
04-02-2007, 12:00 PM
It appears that the %InstallDir% variable is not being used with 11.5 in the inf file.

Example 11.5 inf entry:
[DestinationDirs]
Files00 = 0, %CE1%\My Company\AppName1

Example 12 inf entry:
[DestinationDirs]
Files00 = 0, %InstallDir%

Is upgrading an option for you? If the inf file uses %InstallDir%, changing the value of InstallDir will change the destination of the file.
If not, you will somehow manually have to make the change to the inf file and run cabwiz against the file to generate the cabs.

zakanthem
06-18-2007, 01:43 AM
I also have this issue, can someone please elaborate as to how my device files can be installed to an SD card if the user chooses to do so....

..."When I first ran on Mobile 5, I saw that it came up and asked whether to install on the device or the storage card, so I thought it was going to be really sweet. But whichever option I pick, it installs to the location that all of the files are set to... in this case \Program Files\MyApp\ on the device."...

My files are always installed to the location that the files are set to.

How do i access to the .inf in installshield 12. eg.

Example 12 inf entry:
[DestinationDirs]
Files00 = 0, %InstallDir%

Please help

amy_voxland
06-18-2007, 08:32 AM
The Interm folder underneath your project folder will contain the .inf file.

I downloaded the IS 12 demo and tried it out, and it did work.

davidh
06-18-2007, 10:37 AM
Yes, you will find the inf files built for you in the Interm folder. Unfortunately this will be overwritten with each build. If you are working around this issue with an older version of InstallShield, perhaps you might want to try the following:
1 - build your cabs once, to generate the inf files
2 - modify the inf files in the interm folder
3 - generate the cabs manually with cabwiz.exe
4 - run through the mobile device wizard again, but choose to point to existing cab files, and pick the cab files from step 3

This is fixed with InstallShield 12 and higher.