PDA

View Full Version : SQL 2000 & 2005 Client Connectivity

ronalde
03-19-2007, 09:17 AM
I am currently using Express 5 but I'll gladly upgrade to 12 if that will solve my situation...

I need to create an installation that has client connectivity to all of the following:

- SQL Server 2000
- MSDE 2000
- SQL Server 2005
- SQL Server Express 2005

I would prefer not to install MSDE 2000 and SQL Server Express 2005 as part of the installation just the dlls needed for my application to successfully connect to those databases on a client computer. Users that need the database server install it separately from our installation CD. I also need the installation to include the version of SQL-DMO that is compatible with SQL Server 2005.

Can somebody please explain to me what I need to do to get this working either in Express 5 or 12. The merge modules in Express 5 are inadequate and I don't see SQL Server 2005 or SQL Server Express 2005 modules in Express 12 either.

sunil kumar
04-05-2007, 07:35 AM
Hi.....

In installshield 12 you creat custom actions (in behavior and logic ) and select new EXE and stored in binary table and than fallow a wizard action and check in running processing check both checkbox and last option select a AppSearch and in install execute sequence be select <absence from sequence> and builde this setup.You install many exe or setup in one setup...

Thanks
sunil kumar verma

ronalde
05-04-2007, 08:57 AM
That doesn't address my situation at all.

I have upgraded to Express 12, but I am still having problems creating an installation with client connectivity *only* to MSDE 2000 and SQL Server 2000.

Let me spell out exactly what I'm looking for:

- the install should install all system files required for my VB 6 program to connect to MSDE 2000 or SQL Server 2000 using OLE DB in ADO
- SQL DMO needs to be installed as well
- I do not want the install to install an instance of MSDE 2000 since my program is a client/server application where most computers it is installed on won't be used as database servers
- the install should be well behaved upon uninstallation if MSDE 2000 or SQL Server 2000 is installed on the same computer (i.e. it should not remove required dlls causing MSDE 2000/SQL Server to become unusable)

I need a solution to this asap. Please help.