PDA

View Full Version : Costum actions are called at the wrong time

h.hasenack
02-15-2007, 08:53 AM
:(
I want to call my DLL 'After File Transfer'
The DLL relies on a file that is copied to the system32 folder.
When the DLL is called, no files are in place at all!! I checked this by adding a MsgBox call from within my DLL routine.
When the message is displayed, nu files have been copied to the target folders at all.
When moving my Custom action to 'After setup complete success dialog' it works fine, BUT the action takes place after the installation was informed to be complete to the user.

What am I missing here?

Anyone? I have no support contract, does this mean that reporting a serious bug does not even allow Macrovision to send some response by email or this forum? This is not what I expect! :(

Hello! it's a BUG. when I buy a car, I don't need a support contract if something does not work as it should, well within the guarantee period.

I am getting a bit angry now, not taken seriously.

Maybe Macrovision does not look in this forum at all? ever?

Hans :mad:

josman
03-23-2007, 04:06 PM
I have a similar problem:

I want to call my dll after registering product. It is called before copying files. Obviously the dll was copied as part of the product.

To comment on Macrovision support:
Macrovision works from what they call a support plan. If you don't have a support plan, you cannot get support. It is far from obvious that this doesn't mean: Macrovision has your money and that you have to pay to get Macrovision bugs fixed.

It is supposed to work as follows: You buy a per incident support plan ($100). You file your case under that plan. Macrovision figures, just like we did, that the reported case is a bug in InstallShield. Macrovsion gives you your money back and a fix when the fix becomes available.

Jos

h.hasenack
03-26-2007, 02:30 AM
Well, after some communication with the sales dept, I got the advise to download Installshield Pro and evaluate that one.

As it turns out, with the pro download I got some kind of support access, and I was able to post my bug as a support request.

The problem was
1) I had to by a support plan when buying the software, I couldn't do it afterwards
2) It's a bit strange to pay at forehand in order to get help. a Bit like "No Cure, money gone, you try to get it back". In a garage or, you'd get the bill afterwards.
3) I also find it strange that I can get support before buying the product, but that is tedious afterwards!

TheHouz
03-27-2007, 07:55 AM
I keep hearing things have been fixed in service pack 1 for Premier and Professional. But not Express.

When is the service pack 1 for Express coming. I have had this question out there for a week, and Macrovision will not respond.

:(
I want to call my DLL 'After File Transfer'
The DLL relies on a file that is copied to the system32 folder.
When the DLL is called, no files are in place at all!! I checked this by adding a MsgBox call from within my DLL routine.
When the message is displayed, nu files have been copied to the target folders at all.
When moving my Custom action to 'After setup complete success dialog' it works fine, BUT the action takes place after the installation was informed to be complete to the user.

What am I missing here?

Anyone? I have no support contract, does this mean that reporting a serious bug does not even allow Macrovision to send some response by email or this forum? This is not what I expect! :(

Hello! it's a BUG. when I buy a car, I don't need a support contract if something does not work as it should, well within the guarantee period.

I am getting a bit angry now, not taken seriously.

Maybe Macrovision does not look in this forum at all? ever?

Hans :mad:

h.hasenack
04-04-2007, 07:43 AM
Yeah...

Actually macrovision support confirmed it is a bug now. Without me actually buying a 'support incident' because I made a lot of noise at the sales dept.

They told me next time "I Really have to by a soppurt incident ($250) first. "
That's Right: a support incident is only 50% of the product price :eek:

I think not. Next time I'll probably switch to a company offering support within the warranty period of the software. Strangely though, you do get support when using an evaluation copy, but when you buy the product, the support is gone...

:confused:

josman
04-04-2007, 06:15 PM
Are we going to get a fix for this?

I got the following from Macrovision when asking about SP1:
"Really, the only guaranteed way to receive all major and minor releases is to have a maintenance plan in place when we release them."

There can be a workaround for our problem: use an exe instead of a dll.
Are you using old style or new style dll?
The old style dll can be implemented in an exe, not sure about new style.

Jos

h.hasenack
04-05-2007, 02:10 AM
Yep, almost same problem, onbly my custom action resides in a scrimpt-incorporated DLL that requires one if the installed product DLL's. So basically it comes down to the same problem. Using old-style DLL or EXE won't fix the problem as far as I know.

Anyway, you CAN report a bug. I did and it was never heard from again. ever. So that's why I made some fuzz here, and later on contacted the sales dept.
I find it indigestible that I have to pay at forehand for something I proofed to be a bug. Maybe I should bill macrovision for the time invested to proof the bug?

Bet hey, let's stay positive, a fix is on the way... I hope.

I have a similar problem:

I want to call my dll after registering product. It is called before copying files. Obviously the dll was copied as part of the product.

To comment on Macrovision support:
Macrovision works from what they call a support plan. If you don't have a support plan, you cannot get support. It is far from obvious that this doesn't mean: Macrovision has your money and that you have to pay to get Macrovision bugs fixed.

It is supposed to work as follows: You buy a per incident support plan ($100). You file your case under that plan. Macrovision figures, just like we did, that the reported case is a bug in InstallShield. Macrovsion gives you your money back and a fix when the fix becomes available.

Jos

TheHouz
04-05-2007, 08:22 AM
The real interesting thing is that I do have maintenance, and still do not have a service pack 1 to get all the Vista support.

Are we going to get a fix for this?

I got the following from Macrovision when asking about SP1:
"Really, the only guaranteed way to receive all major and minor releases is to have a maintenance plan in place when we release them."

There can be a workaround for our problem: use an exe instead of a dll.
Are you using old style or new style dll?
The old style dll can be implemented in an exe, not sure about new style.

Jos

h.hasenack
04-05-2007, 08:56 AM
:p At least I didn't spend my money on a (until now) useless maintenance contract. :eek: LOL

I sincerely wish you good luck. (and me too off course) :)

The real interesting thing is that I do have maintenance, and still do not have a service pack 1 to get all the Vista support.