PDA

View Full Version : ISE12 : "Downloaded Installations" on Vista

Lodep59
02-12-2007, 05:27 AM
Hi,

I'm making setups using InstallShield Express 12.
I've a problem while installing my softs on Vista Systems.

The problem is exposed here (Point "7") :
http://www.macrovision.com/company/news/newsletter/tips/is_vista.shtml

7) Setup packaged as single EXE or web download fails
Symptom: hile your setup executable unpacks or downloads, it fails with a message similar to: Unable to save file C:\Windows\Downloaded Installations\...

Cause: Because of UAC, even members of the Administrators group do not have write access to locations such as the Windows folder and the Program Files folder.

Solution: Change the location of the folder for the extracted or downloaded setup files from "[WindowsFolder]Downloaded Installations" to "[LocalAppDataFolder]Downloaded Installations" (without the quotes).

How can i apply this solution (in red) with ISE 12 ?
Thanks for your help.

Laurent.

DebbieL
02-12-2007, 09:34 AM
Find the Location for Copying Media setting in the Build Your Release view, and change its value to this:
[LocalAppDataFolder]Downloaded Installations

I hope that helps.

Debbie Landers
Macrovision Corporation

Lodep59
02-12-2007, 10:49 AM
I've changed this setting, thanks.
I'll try tomorrow on vista but when i run setup on XP the msi file remain in the "c:\windows\downloaded installations\" directory. Is this normal ?

(for information : i've already installed the application on this machine)

DebbieL
02-12-2007, 12:22 PM
Right. It sounds like the first time you ran your installation, you had the [WindowsFolder]Downloaded Installations location specified in your project. When you uninstall the product, the .msi file is not removed from that location. That's why you still see it on your Windows XP system.

Then it sounds like you modified the Location for Copying Media setting in your project and ran your installation again. So, now I would expect the .msi file to be in the new location. (It is also in the old location, since it was not removed.) I would expect that if you ran the latest version of your installation on a clean machine, the .msi file would be in the new location but not in the old location.

Debbie Landers
Macrovision Corporation

TheHouz
03-14-2007, 04:52 PM
I have seen the same error as others in regards to changing the location for copying media to for a Vista install.

If "location for copying media" is changed to "LocalAppDataFolder", will the install still work on XP, 2000, and 98SE. I imaging all NT kernals will be ok, but not sure on 98SE

DebbieL
03-14-2007, 05:33 PM
I haven't tested it. I have trouble imagining it would cause problems; it would probably resolve to a more global application data folder on 9X.

Debbie Landers
Macrovision Corporation

TheHouz
03-14-2007, 06:18 PM
Thanks for the reply. I will try it on 98SE and see what happens.

But, back to the original question.

I changed the location to copy media to the LocalApp folder as mentioned above. Then, recompiled, and tried it on a default Vista system.

I get the same error. What do you think

Lodep59
03-15-2007, 05:36 AM
Hi,

Sorry, i've forgotten to reply :)
Yes, it works fine now. I've checked this on XP, 2000, 98SE and vista.

Thanks for your help.

Lodep59
03-15-2007, 05:37 AM
Thanks for the reply. I will try it on 98SE and see what happens.

But, back to the original question.

I changed the location to copy media to the LocalApp folder as mentioned above. Then, recompiled, and tried it on a default Vista system.

I get the same error. What do you think

Not for me. It works now. Sorry :(

DebbieL
03-15-2007, 08:02 AM
TheHouz,
I'm not sure what is causing that error. What is the full text of the error message? Did you first have the old download path in your installation, and run it on the Windows Vista system? Then did you change the download path and run the revised installation on the same Windows Vista system?

Lodep59,
Thanks for the update. Glad to know it works now.

Debbie Landers
Macrovision Corporation

Holger_G
04-25-2007, 08:08 AM
Question:

Why [LocalAppDataFolder]Downloaded Installations and not [CommonAppDataFolder]Downloaded Installations?

DebbieL
04-25-2007, 01:13 PM
If you are developing a per-machine installation, you should be able to safely change it to [CommonAppDataFolder]Downloaded Installations. The default is set to [LocalAppDataFolder]Downloaded Installations to support per-user installations (and also per-machine installations).

I hope that helps.

Debbie Landers
Macrovision Corporation