PDA

View Full Version : Program Compatibility error installing .Net 1.1 on Vista

jhogsett
01-05-2007, 03:11 PM
I got past my other problems installing .Net 1.1 Framework SP1 on Vista.

Now when my installer runs the Program Compatibility Assistant pops up saying the program might not have installed correctly. The details shown are:
Program: Unknown Program
Publisher: Unknown Publisher
Location C:\Users\Jerry\AppData\Local...\1033dotnetfx.exe

This is a simple installer with a single executable + .Net 1.1 Framework SP1 freshly downloaded from InstallShield via InstallShield 12 Express's tool.

This is a show stopper.

Why is this coming up and how do I fix it?

Thanks

- Jerry

bryanwolf
01-05-2007, 03:26 PM
Have you tried installing .NET 1.1 by itself?

jhogsett
01-05-2007, 03:33 PM
Yes just did using the 1033dotnetfx.exe from C:\Program Files\Macrovision\IS12 Express\Redist\0409\i386 that I just freshly downloaded using the redist downloader.

Worked perfectly.

bryanwolf
01-05-2007, 04:18 PM
Sorry - i should've been more specific.

Did you try installing the SP as well as .NET 1.1?

jhogsett
01-05-2007, 05:07 PM
I just ran dotnetfxsp1.exe on the machine and it fails with a very long error message about the update patch being incompatible and not finding the software to update.

The machine is probably hosed. I'm reinstalling Vista from scratch and I'll post a reply after I try again on a fresh install.

Googling for the message got me to MSDN KB article 906323 which refers to problems with Office and the Windows installer engine 3.1. I've got my schema set to 200 (the default). Is that the appropriate version setting for installing on Vista?

jhogsett
01-05-2007, 07:24 PM
On a brand new Vista installation it still fails the same way using InstallShield.

Installing .Net 1.1 and SP1 manually (running 1033dotnetfx.exe then dotnetfxsp1.exe that I downloaded using the IS redist download tool and copied from the InstallShield folder) works perfectly.

How do I successfully install .Net 1.1 SP1 on Vista using InstallShield 12 Express?

- Jerry

bryanwolf
01-08-2007, 09:57 AM
Interesting.

It seems like something related to the signature or some portion of that install is lost somehow.

I'm not sure what's going on here at the moment.

jhogsett
01-08-2007, 09:29 PM
I thought I'd post an update in case anyone else is having this problem and is watching the thread.

I opened a support incident with InstallShield today. They had me try a few things (listed below) that didn't fix it. Where we left it is I've created and sent a small installer exhibiting the problem and they're going to look at it, reproduce the problem and get back to me.

The things they had me try that didn't work (to save you folks time) are:

1) Uninstall IE7 from the build machine (due to a known problem)

2) Use the hotfix on this forum at http://community.macrovision.com/showthread.php?t=163914&page=6&pp=5

3) Rename my installer to something that doesn't include "setup" or "install" in the name (to disable UAC installer detection) - I called it fred.exe

JamesKoch
01-29-2007, 05:20 PM
I'm having the same issue here. Please keep us all posted!

jhogsett
01-29-2007, 05:42 PM
Unfortuntely it can't be done with InstallShield 12 Express. Macrovision confirmed it's a bug in that version. It's related to the closeness in name between their .Net 1.1 Framework starter app (dotnetfx.exe) and the Microsoft redistributable (1033dotnetfx.exe) when run on Vista. They wrote up a work order and refunded my $100 for the support incident.

The hotfix didn't work either due to another bug which already had a work order opened for it.

They couldn't tell me if, when or what version the bugs would be fixed in.

We got our Vista installer working by splitting the .Net 1.1 installer out of InstallShield and installing it directly. We're spawning the .Net installer silently if needed, then running the InstallShield install silently as well, under the umbrella of our own main installer so it appears seemless to the end user. It was a lot of work but we ended up with an installation architecture that's more flexible, not dependent on any particular installer and our product can be installed by a standard LUA user.

(flame) I have to say I am extremely disappointed that the market leader for installation software can't get their act together on Vista (out tomorrow by the way). We are looking at possibly switching to a competitor's product. (/flame)

JamesKoch
01-31-2007, 10:18 AM
In IS12, under releases, I have it set to download .NET 1.1 from the web. I don't see any reference to SP1. So I'm wondering if I'm experiencing the same issue, or a different one. :confused:

The behavior I experience, as described by my QA engineer (typos and all) is:
------------BEGIN------------
1. From the desktop right click on CEO-6.1.267-MobileTech.exe and select run
as administrator

2. The installer starts to download dotnetfx.exe

3. Next allow .net to install

4. At the end of installation you get a screen that says

-------------------------
"This program might not have installed correctly, This program didnt install
corectly, try reinstalling using settings that are compatable with this
version of Windows."

"Program Iexpress Setup"
-------------------------

- Reinstall using recommended settings
- This program is installed correctly

If you select "Reinstall using recommended settings" the installer is run
again and the install completes.
------------END------------

I've got my ".NET and J# Framework URL" set to http://www.installengine.com/cert05/dotnetfx

Does this match the behavior discussed here as SP1-specific?

jhogsett
01-31-2007, 12:06 PM
That issue is not SP1-specific. That issue is the now-known bug which I found that prevents ISE12 from installing .Net 1.1 Framework due to a similarity in names between InstallShields bootstrapper for the .Net 1.1 Framework, and Microsoft's name for their redistributable. I don't believe there is any way for ISE12 to install .Net 1.1 Framework on Vista.

MichaelU
01-31-2007, 12:13 PM
No provided way, perhaps. It should be quite feasible to craft a prerequisite that installs it just fine. I think I may have seen one on the community before, but I didn't save a link... Of course you either need the Pro/Premier edition to craft it, or to find an already created one.

jhogsett
01-31-2007, 12:14 PM
Macrovision support had me do just that and that didn't work either because of another bug in ISE12.

JamesKoch
01-31-2007, 01:30 PM
Does anyone have an issue #, bug #, work order #, or something?

IOW, when will we see it in the known issues list, so we can track progress? http://support.installshield.com/kb/view.asp?articleid=Q112039

JamesKoch
01-31-2007, 05:52 PM
Well, I think I have a viable workaround, but I'm an IS newbie, so someone tell me any reasons it's not.

I just created a .NET 1.1 pre-req. Screenshot of all properties attached. It seems to work fine, without encountering any additional Vista UAC or compatibility prompts.

I've got it set to download right from Microsoft as needed, although I might revert to hosting it myself...

LeeOttaway
03-06-2007, 01:54 PM
This doesn't work for me. We've run into exactly the same problem trying to install version 1.1 of the Framework. Using the Pre-Requisite method also end in the installer failing. Someone at Macrovision needs to take notice of this and do something because as it stands we have no viable way of distributing our software demo.

This is an extremely serious problem that must be affecting many companies. Please advise as to when we will see a solution.

MichaelU
03-07-2007, 11:58 AM
Does your software not work correctly with .NET 2.0, which comes preinstalled on Vista? One of the flexibilities you have if you create a prerequiste is the ability to not install the 1.1 framework if the 2.0 is present.

We are looking into it, and tracking under IOA-000029567 (thanks, jhogsett). I don't know what may be wrong with LeeOttaway's prerequisite scenario, as at least JamesKoch seem to indicate it works well. As for the non-prerequisite scenario, the compatibility dialog seems to be caused by Vista misdetecting our installation wrapper as the .NET 1.1 framework installer because they share the same name "dotnetfx.exe".

nkd409
04-01-2007, 06:32 AM
You should login as a "Administrator" rather than normal admin account.
Because in vista for registering dlls you should be an administartor.Bcz of vista's enhanced security features u shd do like this.I dont know other way.Let me know if u find any other way.

Regards,
NK
"Impossible it self says i'm possible"

jhogsett
04-02-2007, 11:18 AM
This won't help - there's no difference between the account "Administrator" and any other admin account unless you've specifically changed privileges yourself. In any case, even logged in as an administrator you're using a filtered token and the UAC consent dialog will need to be satisfied to get full privileges.

The only way we found to successfully install .Net 1.1 Framework is not to use InstallShield to do it. Our install process uses several steps. The tabs indicate spawning of another process:

Bootstrap Installer (runs as invoker)
---->Install Helper (runs as administrator after UAC content/credentials prompt)
--------->1033dotnetfx.exe (runs as admin to install .Net 1.1 Framework)
--------->setup.exe (runs as admin to install our program for all users*)

The bootstrap installer monitors the progress of Install Helper to know if the installation was successful or not. At the end of a successful install it launches our program for the logged in standard user instead of the administrator.

*It's critical to install the program for "All Users" or else the locally logged in standard user won't have any shortcuts to run the program.

The reason InstallShield can't install the .Net 1.1 Framework is because Macrovision named their starter installer dotnetfx.exe which Vista thinks is a Microsoft installer.

veetid
06-17-2007, 01:52 PM
Is there any fix for this yet? This is still happening for me in IS 2008 with a Basic MSI project including .NET 1.1 English...

It works on XP, but on Vista it's my only issue... If .NET 1.1 is not already installed on Vista half way through installing .NET it says "This program may not have installed correctly" If you tell it that it did, everything works fine...

Was this not fixed in IS 2008? The only reason I bought IS 2008 was for Vista compatibility...

Please help with suggestions, is the only way to do everything manually with CA?

david

PauloOhio
06-18-2007, 08:40 AM
I am also wondering the status of this issue. If it is indeed fixed in InstallShield 2008, what will need to be done for InstallShield 12 Express to work?

veetid
06-18-2007, 09:43 AM
I still get the same errors in IS 2008... I made a prereq like the earlier post and it worked just fine for .NET 1.1

now I'm trying to make a prereq for .NET 1.1 SP1 and having some issues, trying figure them out...

david

PauloOhio
06-26-2007, 02:49 PM
I am still wondering about my question. If this issue is indeed fixed in InstallShield 2008, what will need to be done for InstallShield 12 Express to work?

bryanwolf
06-28-2007, 11:27 AM
This was previously submitted as Issue IOC-000061684 and should be resolved for IS 2008.

We resolved this by changing the exe name we use for our launcher from dotnetfx.exe.

PauloOhio
09-20-2007, 01:13 PM
I am going to be more direct than my last post. Is there going to be a patch or workaround for InstallShield 12 express that will fix this issue? Please let me know if upgrading to InstallShield 2008 is the only way (besides prerequisites) to fix this. Now that the Express version of installShield 2008 is available I can ask the people with the money about upgrading. However, I need a solid reason on why I need to upgrade for a fix that should be part of software that creates vista compatible installs. I will get off my soap box now.

Thanks,
Juan

MichaelU
09-24-2007, 02:25 PM
As it turned out we had misdiagnosed the bug, and instead it is caused by a different detection problem in Vista. The following hotfix addresses this for IS 2008, but the updated file might be safe to use with IS 12 / Express - I haven't verified.

LardPants
12-05-2007, 11:51 AM
Hi Michael

Where can I find the hotfix you referenced?
Thanks

MichaelU
12-05-2007, 11:56 AM
Searching over at support.installshield.com should help you find what you want. In particular, article Q113498 seems to be the relevant one.

juliew
12-11-2007, 04:03 PM
Have you tried installing .NET 1.1 by itself?

Hi All,

I want to use installer to detect if .net framework 1.1 is installed on VISTA or not. If yes, continue the installation; if not, stop the installation, install .net framework 1.1 separately, then do the installation again.

So How to detect the .net framework 1.1?

Thanks in Advance!!!