PDA

View Full Version : .Net 1.1 Framework on Vista for LUA user

jhogsett
01-03-2007, 08:50 PM
Hi, I have InstallShield Express 12 and I'm creating an example installer including the .Net 1.1 Framework (our product requires it).

When I install on Vista logged in as a standard (least privileged) user, the .Net installation fails ("1603: Error installing Microsoft(R) .NET Framework."). The event log records the problem as "Product: Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 -- You do not have sufficient privileges to complete this installation for all users of the machine. Log on as administrator and then retry this installation."

More info:
- when the installer runs 1033dotnetfx.exe, I get the Credentials UI. I provide the admin password, it continues, then I get an error "This program might not have installed correctly." When I check control panel/programs, .Net 1.1 has not been installed.
- Since our software must be installable for a standard user, the setup.exe required execution level is set to Invoker.
- I used InstallShield Express 12's redist downloader to get the .Net 1.1 framework binaries.

What could be wrong and how do I fix it?

Thanks in advance

- Jerry

jhogsett
01-03-2007, 09:57 PM
I found if I set "Require Administrator" to Yes in the General Information view, everything works. Setting "Required Execution Level" to Administrator in Build Release view alone didn't work.

This is probably OK for us but it means I have to have a non-admin version of the installer for machines where .Net 1.1 is not required, and a typical new Vista standard user cannot install without admin credentials.

I would still like to know how to set up InstallShield to install for a standard user including .Net 1.1 Framework. Why doesn't this work out of the box?

Thanks

- Jerry

bryanwolf
01-04-2007, 10:01 AM
I would still like to know how to set up InstallShield to install for a standard user including .Net 1.1 Framework. Why doesn't this work out of the box?

Microsoft's Windows Installer does not allow a non-administrative user to perform a per-machine installation. Because .NET only installs as Per-Machine, there's no way to install it without having Administrative Privileges.

By default, I believe, all Express projects should come with RequiresAdministrator set to "Yes".

jhogsett
01-05-2007, 01:57 PM
Thanks!

I got it to work only when I set both of these parameters in this way:

Require Administrator Privileges: Yes
Required Execution Level: Administrator

Setting just one of the above (and leaving "No" or "Invoker" as the default for the other) did not work.

----Also for some reason my Require Administrator Privileges defaults to "No" for a new project.---- (strike this -I verified it actually defaults to "Yes".)

- Jerry