PDA

View Full Version : Don't understand how to get "patch" to act on program...

OrthoDoc
11-30-2006, 11:15 PM
I am an absolute newbie, and am practicing on a "helloworld" (HW) program made in VB6. I figure I better understand how to patch my real program before I ever put it out in the first place.

I have successfully packaged HW with IS11.5 express, and have deployed it to the web, where I have then downloaded it and installed it successfully back to my computer. Beautiful.

Now, I have created a quick patch and modified a file so that the form will appear a bit different (proving that the "patch" will have been applied), but I have no idea how to successfully get it to "patch" the original program. It does it sit out on the web as a second thing to download, dosen't it?

I tried copying the patch file created with IS to the website and linking it to a clickable image assuming it was "ready to go." But when I download it and open it, I get the macrovision "installation designer" view, not a "patch" to the original program. Useless.

The quick patch "installation designer" doesn't provide a web upload tool like the original program IS packaging "installation designer" did.

Can someone please help and explain it like you're explaining it to a dummy?

Thanks,

Ortho
Big dummy :confused:

OrthoDoc
11-30-2006, 11:48 PM
I was reading the forum about quick patches and saw the part about "build." Duh! Did that and then found the "update" program built! I am going to try to put it on the web.... Pray for me.....

Ortho
Big dummy :confused:

OrthoDoc
12-01-2006, 12:22 AM
Well, the process of placing the files on the web, linking them, and downloading the patch worked, but the update didn't cause the intended change, so I guess now I'm not changing the files correctly in the "installation designer" view of the quick patch.

To be specific, all I did was add a label to the updated form which reads "Version 1.0.1," which after running the patch, did not appear on my installed-and-patched program.

What I am replacing in "files" is helloworld.exe and the path specified by InstallShield is to the new version with the label applied -- I double checked. When I actually run the new helloworld.exe (created and compiled by VB6 and fully executable in its own right), it shows the label added.

Any suggestions as to what I'm doing wrong?

Ortho
Dummy... :rolleyes: