PDA

View Full Version : Self registering dll does not uninstall

harryn4484
11-21-2006, 08:15 PM
Not dure if this community is still active.

I am not sure wether my problem lies with InstallShield v7 or vBuild. I may be doing something wrong in either.

We have a program including a self registering dll that has worked fine for about six updates over the last three years. This year the self registering dll named changed from aaaa7.dll to aaaa8.dll.I included it in the self registering section and it installed correctly.

When installing the new version as an update to a previous version aaaa8.dll is installed and registered but aaaa7.dll is not removed.

I think the problem may be in my matching but not quite sure what I am doing wrong.

1. I tried just matching the two (used automatch) thinking vBuild would replace the old dll with the new one, but both still there.

2. Tried leaving old dll (aaaa7.dll) unmatched and the new dll (aaaa8.dll) as new (manual match) hoping it would be deleted, again no.

I confirmed both types of match before building install sets.

What should I be doing.

Thanks in advance

Harry

IlanaB
10-28-2007, 06:06 AM
Hi,
Please not that vBuild is no longer supported. However, I will try to help you anyway. vBuild matching is only resposible for the generation of the new dll. If the new one is matched to the old one, the update will be smaller. If it is not matched, it will be brought in as new content, taking up more space.
The removal or unregistration actions are completely up to the InstalleShield and Windows logic and out of scope of vBuild operation.

Good luck in solving the problem

Ilana