PDA

View Full Version : Execute custom action from Disk1

Tvalley
11-07-2006, 05:38 AM
Hi,

I'm trying to install msde from an custom action, not a merge module!

I place the MsdeRelA folder on Disk1 and creating a custom action after file transfer. The custom action looks like this:

Source Location: File Exist on Target Computer
File Location: [SUPPORTDIR]msderela
File Name and Command line: setup.exe
Wait for Action: Yes
Run Once: Yes
Ignore Exit Code: No
Condition: (some feature)

When I try to install on my target computer I get the following error.

Error 1721. There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel (you) or package vendor (Ups! Me). Action: MSDE, location: C:\SUPPORTDIR\msderela\...\setup.exe

Can someone help me please.

/Thomas

bkeppler
11-07-2006, 09:39 AM
What you want is a prerequisite installation, not a custom action. There is an MSDE prerequisite defined in the standard installation of IS12 Express. Look in the "Redestributable Packages" screen and you will find it there.

Tvalley
11-08-2006, 03:07 AM
What you want is a prerequisite installation, not a custom action. There is an MSDE prerequisite defined in the standard installation of IS12 Express. Look in the "Redestributable Packages" screen and you will find it there.

Thanks for the help. I have two additional questions. How can I make the installation of this prerequisite depend on a feature and how can I make the setup.ini part of my project and not something that influence all projects which may include the msde prerequisite. I mean the only way I can figure how to change the settings for the msde installation is by changing the setup.ini placed in Objects\ISMSDE2000\Redist. Can I supply the setup.ini in any other way.

bkeppler
11-08-2006, 09:28 AM
There isn't a way to make a redistributable dependent on a feature because the user hasn't had the opportunity to select features at that point. If it is vital that you make it dependant on a feature, I understand that there is a function call in IS12 Pro to launch a child installation from a parent with the child running under the auspices of the parent's installer.

As far as changing the setup.ini file, that is the place where a Custom Action would be appropriate. Just include the file in your Setup Files (don't put it in Advanced Files\Disk1, just put it under English or whatever language you are using) and you can reference it in the custom action by the path [SUPPORTDIR]\<filename>.

Regards