PDA

View Full Version : Creating virtual directories in existing IIS instances

jscamptx
11-01-2006, 03:33 PM
I am looking for a solution to help automate installations on internal servers. I am using an evaluation copy of IS Express.

I need the ability to add virtual folders to existing IIS instances on a server. There are multiple instances (sites) on the server. Is this possible with IS Express? I don't see a way to do it. Is there another IS product that can do this?

Thanks.

davidh
11-03-2006, 11:48 AM
I'm a little unsure about what you mean, but you should be able to create NEW virtual directories under existing (or new) websites with Express. Create a new project and check the IIS view.

jscamptx
11-03-2006, 12:57 PM
I'm a little unsure about what you mean, but you should be able to create NEW virtual directories under existing (or new) websites with Express. Create a new project and check the IIS view.

Thank you for your reply. Yes, I want to create new virtual directories under existing web sites. When I look at the IIS view in a project, it looks like I can only add new websites and then add virtual folders to them. Are you saying that I can use that to list existing web sites, then add virtual folders there? If so, then wouldn't that overwrite existing settings on the server? That would be a problem for me.

It would be perfect if Installshield could scan for the websites, then make add the folders to ones that I specify. Would a more advanced version do this?

davidh
11-03-2006, 01:25 PM
The advanced version behaves the same, but I think we have what you need.

If the website already exists on the target system, it won't be overwritten. So, the existing websites would stay the same, and your new virtual directories should be created within them.

jscamptx
11-03-2006, 04:14 PM
I've been trying it all day, but I can't get the virtual folder added to my IIS instance. Files are copying okay. It just isn't updating my IIS instance. In the IIS view, I'm giving it the Description, IP address, TCP Port and site number. Am I missing anything else?

davidh
11-03-2006, 04:16 PM
Are you creating a web site AND also a virtual directory? Secondly, are you refreshing the Windows IIS Snap-in after you run the install?

jscamptx
11-03-2006, 04:21 PM
No, the web site already exists. I'm trying to add the virtual folder to the existing site.

And yes, I'm refreshing the IIS manager. I've even closed and re-opened it.

davidh
11-03-2006, 04:24 PM
Can you post your project file or at least a sample project file? Another thing to try is to test on a clean machine. Sometimes IIS seems to get corrupted if you install multiple times to the same machine.

jscamptx
11-03-2006, 04:44 PM
The project is in the attached ZIP.

davidh
11-06-2006, 12:52 PM
I ran the attached project on my machine and the virtual directory installed. Could you try on a clean machine if you haven't already?

Another thing to try could be to unistall IIS from the machine, then reinstall IIS, then run your install again.

jscamptx
11-06-2006, 05:46 PM
We've decided that IS is the wrong tool for what we need. Thanks.

chunkylover53
12-21-2006, 06:27 PM
Since IS doesn't let you create a new site on port 80, I have to create it on another port, then go back and change it as a post install step.
How do I enum the sites on the server, get a reference to the site I created?
I also have to configure a virtual directory underneath it.

I hate computers.

CL53

davidh
12-21-2006, 06:30 PM
Change the site number of the website in your project (for example: change to 55). As long as site 55 does not exist on the target machine, your new site should be created.

chunkylover53
12-22-2006, 09:41 AM
Hi,
That's the sticky wicket, I need my new site to be created on port 80. But since the default IIS port is already port 80 it won't create the new site.
Is there a way around this?

Thanks

davidh
12-22-2006, 05:47 PM
Yes, change the site number...see the above post. You'll find the site number property on the same tab as the port number (in the IIS view).

chunkylover53
12-27-2006, 02:10 PM
Ah, yes. I see now. Thanks that worked!!

CL