PDA

View Full Version : Reinstalling For Each Profile

hld1031
10-24-2006, 01:59 PM
I am fairly new at using AdminStudio & am currently using Ver 7.5. I am trying to repackage an legacy app. When I run the package, all appears to be running fine. However, when the client clicks on the shortcut after the first time running, the product continues to try to reinstall.

This may produce errors if the package was installed under another profile (client). How do I eliminate this from happening? :rolleyes:

KingVoodoo
10-26-2006, 02:29 AM
Check the Event log for the component causing the problem and fix it.
Make a machine install (ALLUSERS=1) instead of a user install.
Then you only should get reinstall for user parts if there are any. :cool:

Peerke
10-30-2006, 11:23 AM
The application SHOULD repair once for every new user. If it repairs multiple times or is (seemingly) in a loop, please consult the Event Viewer for the file or registry-ket causing the repair.

Regards,

Rene

Cary R
10-31-2006, 07:06 PM
One thing I usually recommend testing is to check and see if the legacy application will automatically generate its own user profile-specific configuration data (if this is at fault).

Many applications are authored to account for this, and if yours is no different, you can just exclude the config data, and let the app create these files/settings when it runs rather than have Windows Installer trigger autorepair each time a user launches an Advertised Shortcut.

It takes a little testing and consulting with the Event Log (as they've mentioned above) to figure out if this will be an option, but it's a useful thing to be aware of. Just to flesh out some on the Event log messages, here's an MSDN article that gives you an idea on what to look for:

Searching for a Broken Feature or Component:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/msi/setup/searching_for_a_broken_feature_or_component.asp